Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If images are not in Attachment field they are not in a separate table, they are in a folder. Only the image path\name is stored in a text field.

The images are retrieved from folder by using an Image control on form or report. Image control has image path in ControlSource. As already described in previous posts.

What is the '3rd way'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

zkrucz is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think we are talking about the same thing ("3rd way"). I am referring to the 3rd option described in the link https://www.cimaware.com/expert-zone...crosoft-access.
    So, I think I finally get it. Instead of a Query in which I can refer/clock on an Attachment field, I will need to create forms to make my review using the method described herein, correct?

Handling Images with Microsoft Access

By Jamie CzernikArticles about Microsoft Access
    What is the best way to store image files in MS Access?"
    This has to be one of the most frequently asked questions in relation to Access. In actual fact, there are three main techniques available to handle image files in tables with MS Access and these are:

1. 1. Store the image in an OLE field and use a bound object frame to display the image.
    2. 2. Store the path to the image in a text field, using an image control to display the image.
    3. 3. Store the image as a binary large object bitmap (BLOB) in an OLE field, extract the image when required and use an image control to display the image.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, form or report. Even if you used Attachment field, could build form or report with Image control bound to Attachment field, not interact with query. Whether Attachment or text field, the images must be a type that Access can display with that control - no PDFs.

That list doesn't mention saving images in Attachment field and using Image control to display or opening in another program as you were doing with query. So I guess there are 4 ways - or is that 5? Seems Jamie was avoiding Attachment field in his list of 'main' techniques.

I've never used OLE fields and controls. All attempts always resulted in frustration.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Great, thank you and now I can discuss with our programmer to move this project forward.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Using the OLE object method will also bloat your db ( I did use it successfully but with SQL server and Oracle back ends). Use a form to display the picture for your validation and from there open the report (or export it straight to PDF)
    Cheers,
    Vlad

Windows 10 Access 2016
    OK, but to be sure, I review say a hundred records at at a shot (daily). What I like about the query approach is that i can easily move from record to record and make corrections in the DB, if needed. Is it safe to assume that I can do the same using a dedicated form? Once I complete that task, I produce weekly PDFs which include hundreds (say 500) individual records under one PDF label. Will I be able to create something similar using you approach?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes, you should have a continuous form to review and the report would be similar to the one you already have.
    Vlad

Windows 10 Access 2016
    OK, now I can truly say that this is closed and you have put my mind at ease. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.