Chaz88 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Converting/Upsizing Linked Databases

Hey guys,

I had a look around but couldn't find anything pertaining to my issue but if there is and I missed it then I apologise in advance.

I have an older database in Access 2000 that has information in it that needs to be brought over to a new database in SQL Server 2005 (I'm extremely new to SQL Server so forgive any idiotic things I might say). I was thinking that I would just convert the Access Db to SQL Server format by using the Upsizing Wizard however since the Access Db uses data taken from another Access Db will they still be linked if I upsize them both? Or will that cause errors and such.

I would love to import the data directly but the new Db, although used for the same thing is structured very differently and has different table names etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chaz

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    this line is particularly confusing: "Access Db uses data taken from another Access Db " let's define 'taken'. assuming it is permanent info and not linked info - then there isn't an issue.

nothing wrong with the upsizing wizard - - but philosophically one might say that you are moving to the sqlserver product set environment - and thus the solution is best approached from that starting point. that is my view at least. Therefore I would use sqlserver features to import data, append data, etc and really not approach it from Access

just 2 cents on this one....

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I upsize MSAccess tables all the time to SQL Server without any problems. But you shouldn't be upsizing tables that are linked already in an MSAccess mdb. You should be upsizing them from the source mdb which has the non-linked tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.