fish001 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Reset Auto Number In Database

Hi , how do i reset the auto number in database if my database is already linked to SharePoint List?
    Please help .

Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Reset to what, zero? Not sure what you're getting at concerning the SP list. For a table with an autonumber field, you have to remove the autonumber field in design view, save and close the table, reopen in design and insert a new autonumber field and save. ONLY do this on a copy of your table if you are not familiar with the effects. That way you can recover from the original if need be.

You should have a very good reason for doing this, as an autonumber field isn't supposed to be used in any meaningful way. Never try to sync these fields with other autonumber fields in other tables, which I would venture should include SP lists. Maybe read these for more info
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0025.htm
    http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/Autonumbers
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

johnbchron is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have the same problem except I need to get access to re-evaluate the autonumber field. I recently uploaded the table to sharepoint and then brought down a linked table, but the forms that I had previously built all fill the autonumber field with 0001 and don't increment. Anybody have any ideas how I can get access to discover the records that are already there and then begin where it's supposed to?

EDIT: I tried repair and compact but it didn't fix the problem

EDIT: I have another table hosted in sharepoint that's linked in access, also with an autonumber field as the primary key. It's working perfectly. I've looked through all of the settings I can find in both sharepoint and access, but I haven't found any differences. I'm stumped.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum.....

@ johnbchron

Just an FYI....
    By posting your question in this thread, you have done what is termed "Hijacking a thread". This is bad for 2 reasons: 1) It has very little to do with the OPs question/problem and 2) you will probably not get an answer because very few people will see your post/question.
    You should start your own thread - you could reference this thread if you wanted to, but you should start your own thread for your questions.

Also, this thread is from 2 years ago.

Good luck with your question....... (sorry, I don't use or know anything about Sharepoint).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.