Nikki Harry is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Using a value from a control in one table to calculate a value in a second table

Please advise if this is posted to the wrong sub-forum.

Dealing with two of my linked tables, which apart from this, are working well.

The first [Products], contains a field 'Cost'.

The second [Transactions] contains the fields 'Sold' and 'Net'.

My dilemma is trying to get the second table to multiply the value contained in [Products].Cost by the value in [Transactions].Sold and paste the answer automatically into [Transactions].Net.

The goal being to enter data into a Transaction table/form and the moment the 'Sold' field (quantity sold) is filled, the calculation to update the 'Net' (how much made today) is automatically made and pasted.

I've been down all kinds roads looking for the method, but not found it yet. I'm sure one you bright folks can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    if the net control is bound to the net field, then you will need to use vba code to do the calculation and populate the field - something like this in the sold control after update event

net=sold*dlookup("cost","products","productID=" & me.productID)

However I have to question what you are trying to do. If this is for an invoice or similar document, the usual protocol is to store the cost field in the transactions table and then calculate the net as and when required. Reason for I suspect the same reason you want to store the net figure - because the cost figure can change over time.
    The goal being to enter data into a Transaction table/form
    not a table

Nikki Harry is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for the rapid response Ajax. Hmm, VBA. Going to take a while to get my head around that one. Your assumptions are correct. Trying to cheat by bending protocols to store a value that should be just recalculated. My problem is I'm building this thing and using it at the same time. Which means I'm having to improvise on the hoof. My goal is to correct once time allows and the big reference book by John Veritas arrives!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Store the cost, calculate net. However, a net figure usually involves a discount factor. If you are simply doing quantity times cost, I would call it TotCost.

Will require code (VBA or macro) to save cost for selected product. DLookup is one way to retrieve value. Another is to use a multi-column combobox for product and code references column with the cost.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.