Nikki Harry is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Which fields for which table and their relationship

I've been kicking this around for some time now and I'm stuck between ideas that aren't working. Background: My wife has a small bakery that produces and sells over the counter. Northwind is far too complicated to break down and work with (Suppliers, Employees, tax stuff etc), plus I can't open the table design or relationship function to identify what I actually need.

So far my thought have been that I have two areas of requirement: Products and Daily Sales (so 2 tables). However, I realize this isn't enough when considering that table Daily Sales will contain a number of Transactions that will record stock adjusting and net income increasing (now at 3 tables).

Furthermore, I foresee the possibility for a fourth table to separate stock levels (Inventory) from everything else.

Actually, I'm pretty much lost and confused. I keep thinking I have the answer and then run straight into a wall. It would be really kind if someone out there could show me a diagram of tables and their relationships I need to be considering to get me started.

I understand that it will be queries that will really make this sing, but that's another step.

Additional: Wife doesn't care so long as the forms will be a nice fluffy green colour.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here is a link with lots of relevant info.
    I suggest you work through 1 or 2 of the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary mentioned in that info.
    For quick guide see this info also included in the linked materials.
    The videos in the link are great for concepts and refresher.

Bottom line -- work through a tutorial or 2, get a good description of that bakery business, then apply what you learned in the tutorial. Don't be too quick to jump into a physical database. Learn a little about database; do some analysis; build a model; adjust the model until it does what you need;;;- now you have a blueprint for your database.

For Inventory and transaction concepts and approach see these links:
    Allen Browne AppInventory

A 26 minute video on developing an Inventory application --good to see the whole process

Good luck.

Nikki Harry is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for the info Orange. Looks like a good starting point.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.