norseman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Tabs on a form created in Access 2013 no longer work in Access 2016

I have a form created in Access 2013 that was working just fine until I upgraded to Access 2016. Now it no longer works. In design view you can still see the tabs, but when you go to form view they disappear.

What I have is a db of project Kits made by different manufacturers. In it previous incarnation the form showed all manufacturers displayed in a single form sorted by manufacturer name. When the number of kits and manufacturers grew very large it was difficult to find what I wanted. So I thought to organize the kits by manufacturer and just display the ones for a selected manufacturer (when I start a kit I always know the manufacturer). The data I need is exactly the same for each kit regardless of manufacturer.

My idea was to create a tabbed form with the manufacturers names as the tab. When selected the form would display the kit information for that manufacturer.
    Below is a screen capture of the form as it was working in 2013. In 2016 you do not see the outer form with the tabs, you just see the inner form with data displayed from what would normally be the first manufacturer tab. There is no way to display any of the other manufacturers.

Just so you know, I am a retired (40 years) software developer who just plays on the computer and works on my woodworking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	33637

_

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have some reservations about your design. Mostly, if you wanted to add a manufacturer name, you'd need a new tab on your control, correct? This means that the form (at least) isn't correctly designed. Be that as it may, if you want to keep it as such, you could compact/repair and zip a copy of your db and post the db in your thread. Since I now have 2016 I could at least let you know if it's a problem with the db or perhaps it's a pc problem for you, based on whether or not it exhibits the same behaviour to me. I might have design suggestions as well.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with Micron's comments about the design, but will add that when I see this behavior (tabs disappearing) it's usually because of a form size issue. M$oft likes to change the size of the Ribbon/Toolbars with different Office versions. Try hiding the ribbon and see if your tabs reappear. If so you can adjust the size of your tab controls to fit better in A2016.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Another thought: Is the Tab style set to None in the property sheet? If so change back to Tabs (or Buttons)
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I answered as if the tabs were for pages on a tab control, so I'm not understanding what effect the Ribbon could have on a tab control's page tabs. Simply updating Access shouldn't have redesigned the display property of a tab control's pages, but it's worth looking at.
    Last edited by Micron; 04-19-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelin and gramur

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Everyone;
    While I did state I was a software developer for over 40 years, I have not done anything for over three years due to health issues. So, If I ask a stupid question, please bear with me as I get my brain back in developer mode.

Micron,
    I agree with the design comment. At the time I was using this database as something I could learn about using Tabs. If this were a "work" application it would have been done completely differently. I will often read about some feature in Word, Excel, Access, Photoshop, or whatever and I will try to find a way to learn about it. I have always liked learning. Doing things like this are a way for me to keep my brain active while my body goes into the toilet. They do not always make sense, but they give me the excuse I want.

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I was also talking about the tabs for pages on a tab control. It's not that the tabs display property gets changed, they just get pushed off the screen at the top (I'm not saying this is definitely the OP's problem, but I've seen it happen on more than one occasion). You can always see them in design view because the form will scroll to the top, but in form view they can disappear from view. My assumption is that this is because the Access Gnomes believe that displaying the contents of the sub form that is contained within the tab control is more important than displaying certain elements of the tab control itself. So, if there is a screen space issue (i.e. the form was designed in an older version and you are now viewing it in a newer version with a larger ribbon and consequently less available screen space), then the tabs themselves can sometimes get sacrificed in an effort to display as mush of the sub form (i.e. the actual data) as possible. If you happen to have the vertical scroll bar enabled on the main form, then you can scroll up to see the tabs, but in most scenarios like this the scroll bars on the main form would be disabled, leaving the user no way to see the tabs of the tab control.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have no idea what I just did, but the tabs are back where they should be. If I would hazard a guess it had to do with Beetle's comment about form sizes.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.