rodeogal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Query and count on lookup fields to build a report.

I am new here and have inherited a database that I am trying to generate a very large report from. The MainTable has seven lookup fields in it. I have built tables to represent each of these fields.

The report I need to compile will basically have the following information:

Spelling Bee: # wins at school level, # wins at regional level, # wins at state level (lookup choices are win, lose, tie for each level)
    Track: # wins at school level, # wins at regional level, # wins at state level (lookup choices are win, lose, tie for each level)
    Soccer: # wins at school level, # wins at regional level, # wins at state level (lookup choices are win, lose, tie for each level)
    All Sports: # of losses and ties

Each of these activities are in a lookup field, and each of these win levels are in a lookup field. In order to get this information into a single report, will I need to run multiple queries, count the results, and have the report show the results? If I do it this way, will all the queries run and refresh each time I pull the report? Ultimately, all these individual results are to be transferred to an excel spreadsheet.

Thank you for any thoughts/advice. I think I am in over my head on this one.......

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    It would help if you could post a sample database with the tables (don't need the data, just one or two sample records) and a sketch of how you envision your report to look like. Also a sample of your desired final spreadsheet.

Cheers,
    Vlad

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    A report is a presentation. The way to design it will depend on how the data is structured in the tables.

for instance; if 1 table contains all 7 fields - one doesn't even need a query - just use the table as the record source of the report.

If each of the 7 report fields resides in 7 different tables then - again it depends on the structure of the table data.... does there need to be a count/sum of the # or is the # already a value in the table?

In any case it is very do-able but more specific forum advice would require a very brief layout of your table data.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.