Fiddler is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Simple form won't work after splitting database

Hello,

I build a db with one simple and a handful of variously complex forms and decided to test a copy of it by splitting it to ensure it would work.

The simple form loads when the db opens and has only a set of option buttons on it. Each button, when clicked, opens a form. Note that I did not use a wizard to do this. The command behind the button is a simple "docmd" method to open the designated form. This works just fine in my unsplit copy.

After splitting, the buttons no longer work. A click produces no action whatsoever. The backend is linked; the front end is a de. I'm thinking I'm missing some really rudimentary design issue--like some manner I'm supposed to know to code in if I intend to split a db. Like, is everything supposed to be ADO or is it okay to use DAO?

Any ideas why my code simply won't work now that the db is split? The only form that seems to work as planned is one that is based on a simple query and the user types the values directly into the grid. Most of my forms are heavily coded, though, due to numerous calculations needed. The code was compiled before the split.

The main form with the buttons opens using a sub Main() procedure on open. It is not "linked" to the main db.

I'm using Access 2016 (Office 365) and Windows 10.
    Last edited by Fiddler; 04-12-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add element

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are both the BE and FE in "Trusted Locations"? If you aren't sure what that means, Google Access trusted locations.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    davegri has likely identified the problem, but to address your question, DAO is fine. I use it almost exclusively, usually with Access front ends with SQL Server back ends.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    They're both on my c drive.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks pbaldy. Good to know.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    They're both on my c drive.
    That doesn't mean the locations are both trusted. Go to the Trust Center ... Trusted Locations and add one or both as necessary

OR open the BE directly - is there a yellow security bar shown with a button? If so, click the button to make it a trusted location.
    Repeat with the FE
    Close & reopen - it should work now
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I also agree that it sounds like a 'Trust' issue.

A quirk (at least to me) of Access is that your File(s) can not be in a Trusted location, but if you open the File in Design View, do designing, or modifying, whatever, then run the Form, it'll execute all code.

But if close the Form, reopen it directly in Form View (i.e. click on it in the Nav Pane) all code will fail to execute! Apparently the Access Gnomes assume if you start out from Design View, you've the developer, and anything you do is to be 'trusted,' but not so if you open the Form directly!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your response(s). I got pulled away from development for a few days, but hope to check out your suggestion tomorrow.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow (I hope).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.