Thomas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

I need help with Table Design and Relationships

I'm trying to make a Products Database. Each product has multiple specifications. Some specifications are numbers with varying precision while other specifications are text. I currently have the data type set to text and that seems to work, but I lose functionality if I ever want to do some math using those numbers...that are formatted as text. Also, later on, when I'm not doing the data entry, it might get confusing for a new person to figure out which field gets 3 digits of precision and which one gets 5 digits of precision...or which one just gets a text string. I would like to choose a specification from a combo box and then have the appropriate text box...allowing either only text, 0.000 or 0.00000...or just 0.0. I've attached a snip of my current design. I hope one of you may be able to point me in the right direction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationship Model.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	33510
    Product: 1 Vendor, 1 Resource, 1 Name, 1 Product Type and MANY Specifications
    Vendor: 1 Vendor Number, 1 Name, MANY Products
    Resource: 1 Resource Number, 1 Resource Name, 1 Resource Type, MANY Products
    Product Specifications: 1 Specification Name, 1 Specification Value (But, each specification has a need for its own Data Type, i.e, Melt Index = 0.000, Density = 0.00000, Appearance = "Clear and Bright"

I'm stumped and need your help. I'm new here, so please pardon any rookie mistakes. Thanks.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    but I lose functionality if I ever want to do some math using those numbers...that are formatted as text.
    use the eval function e.g.

eval("10" & "*" & "15") will return 150

with regards precision, that is not possible at the table design view, you will need to use some code in a form to amend the validation or to recalculate. But you can include a field to direct that validation/calculation

It's not clear from your post where that might go but might for example be in the product specifications table called say specType and then populated with input mask strings such as @, 0, #.00, #.000

then in the enter or got focus event for a control (e.g. mycontrol) on a form you would have code

mycontrol.inputmask=specType

or instead of using input mask strings, use format strings (or just specify the number of dp, leaving blank for text) and in the after event of the control put

mycontrol=format(mycontrol,specType)

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Thomas,

Can you provide some sample data to show us what "specifications" and a few of your terms involve?
    You may also find that describing a day in the life of your business --who does what, when ....-- will paint a useful picture of what you are trying to accomplish.
    I see COA and railcar but have no idea where or how these fit and/or relate to one another.

Is this your first database?
    Good luck with your project.

Thomas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply Ajax. After reading your reply, I think using either input mask strings or format strings might be what I need to do. I'm just not sure how I would accomplish that. In my Product Specifications Table, I would have a Field named SpecType, but how would I populate it with the input mask strings? Sorry, I'm just getting my arms around table relationships. Thanks.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    how would I populate it with the input mask strings
    having created the field, just type them in. To learn about them, see these links

https://stevechasedocs.wordpress.com...k-cheat-sheet/
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...2-4a47832de8da
    https://www.quackit.com/microsoft_ac...oft_access.cfm

Thomas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

My sample Excel file is attached.

Thanks for your reply.

This is my first database. I've been using Excel for a few years, but am now trying to teach myself Access. My plan is to convert the attached Excel Worksheet into an Access database with some of the bells and whistles.

A Day In The Life: We have Resources, our raw materials that we convert into plastic sheeting. We buy Products from Vendors. A resource may have one product or many products. We may buy one product or many products from a vendor. Each combination of Product and Vendor may have one or many Specification. Each specification has its own data type, mostly a number, but sometimes a text string. Each product arrives from the vendor with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). We have to have that COA on file before we can unload the product from a railcar into one of our silos. We have to compare the vendors in-house testing results, reported on the COA, with our specifications. If all is well, we unload the resin and make plastic. We keep track of when we start unloading the railcar and when we finish.

I have already figured out how to make dependent cascading combo boxes and that works really well, especially since we have so many products from varying vendors. I'd like to have a combo box that offers me a choice of specifications. Once I choose that specification a text box is formatted to receive the number (with precision) or text value...whichever is required based on the specification I chose.

Thomas
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I'd like to have a combo box that offers me a choice of specifications
    create a table called say tblSpecifications with fields SpecName and Spec. Because this will be a short table, suggest make Spec the primary key

then create your combo based on this table for the SpecType control.

Thomas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Ajax. Your links provided good information. I know a little about input masks. I guess I was just confused because I have a lot of specifications. I was thinking your suggestion was to give one specification several input masks. Just shows how little I really know. Anyway, I'm now thinking I need a table for Specifications with a Field for SpecificationNames and a related table with SpecificationTypes...or something like that. Thanks. I think I may be in over my head.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.