sw_smith is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Multi-user backend question

I built an Access 2016 Forms front-end where the tables are linked from an SQL Server back-end on a different machine; it works well.

I have multiple users with different permissions on the tables set up in the back-end. The issue is that Access is not requiring that a user/pwd be entered; i.e.: once the connection is established, Access just uses it without requiring a pwd.

What I'd *like* to get is where the front-end (Access) user supplies a back-end (SQL Server) user name/pwd. I have researched file-based links, user-based links, and machine-based links. User-based looks to be most promising; however, I think that's the *Windows* user and I'd like to authenticate the link at the SQL Server.

Steven Smith (Usually an Oracle user)

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

Did you save the password when you made connection to the selected tables?

sw_smith is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NoellaG View Post
    Hi,

Did you save the password when you made connection to the selected tables?
    I tried it various ways. I tried logging out of SQL Server completely. I think the user/password is saved over in the ODBC in Access. If I delete *that*, I have to re-authenticate, but I have to recreate the whole connection. I even tried stopping the SQL Server service... that didn't work, either... well, it locked up access, but it didn't do what I wanted it to.

But, to the question: I didn't see an option to save or not when I connected.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

2 possibilities:
    1.the SQL server works with windows authentication. If so, the user gives the password when logging into windows and uses that account (trusted connection). The whole point here of using Windows authentication is that the user doesn't have to login more than once. If you want to have a seperate login: use mixed authorisation on your SQL server and create SQL accounts on the server and corresponding users in the databases.
    2. on the moment you link the tables (not create the connection) you have the possibility to save the password, after which it won't ask the password again.

kind regards
    Noëlla

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.