NMarius is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Question Multiple subreports/queries under a main report

Hi,

I am trying to build a database to collect Field Safety review data from several distinct Units (over 100) grouped by Divisions (over 20)
    The main report has to include all Units under a specific Division on one page and the rows are the questions(21) and on the columns each Unit compliance (Yes/No). An example below

Unit 1 Unit2 Unit3 Unit4
    Question 1 Yes No Yes Yes
    Question 2 No Yes No No
    Question 3 No No Yes Yes
    Question 4 Yes Yes No Yes
    Question 5 Yes Yes No No
    Question 6 Yes No Yes No
    Question 7 No No Yes Yes
    Question 8 Yes Yes No Yes
    Question 9 No No Yes No

So far I only know to make specific queries for each Unit and Sub-reports based on those queries under the main Report. Is there a better way to have this report without having to build 100 queries?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    your table should be designed as:
    question, unit
    Q1, Unit 1
    Q1, Unit 2
    Q2, Unit 1
    etc...

the main form/report can then filter on 1 UNIT, or you can still product the report you show above in your example via a Crosstab query.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    A UNION query can rearrange the data to the structure recommended by ranman256. Then that query can be used as source for report and use the report Sorting & Grouping features.

Where is the Division identifier?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you ranman256, the table is designed in the way you mentioned but the crosstab query is limited to 3 headers, it doesn't help me too much. I have 21 questions (rows) and up to 9 units (columns), depending on each Division. the columns are counted data, this part is covered but the final report still give me headaches

@June7. Sorting and grouping is a compromise, I hoped that there was something better

June7 is offline VIP
    What do you mean by crosstab is limited to three headers? Why is sorting & grouping in report a compromise? Perhaps you should provide example of raw data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

more details on request

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What do you mean by crosstab is limited to three headers? Why is sorting & grouping in report a compromise? Perhaps you should provide example of raw data.
    A crosstab query will accept only three headers (I considered that the Units will fit there), maybe I didn't understood well the functionality but I tried. I use one table containing several fields, among them ID, department, division, unit, date, question1, question2 and so on up to 21 questions. Questions are Yes/No type (compliance with applicable rules)
    Report has to contain a Count on all No answers, for all Units belonging to a Division, the largest number being 9 Units arranged on columns
    The only solution I have so far is query and Count for each Unit and then columnar subreports containing the data fro each Unit
    This because my Supervisor does not accept a different type of report.
    My question, to be more clear is: A different approach will be easier? To obtain the result I want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crosstab query.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	33501
    Last edited by NMarius; 04-10-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: image attach

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    It will only accept 3 row headers using the wizard but you can easily add more in the query designer.
    In fact there is no need to use the wizard at all once you understand the crosstab structure
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Oh, that's something I haven't try. Thank you, I will look into this

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, wizards can be limiting. Use query desiger grid directly. In query design click CROSSTAB on ribbon. Multiple row headers possible. Only one each column and value each.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.