Southpaw is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Can't set up query to compare and sort data and calculate and show differences between two sets of

All,

Sorry if you've heard this one before....

Not a newbie to Access, but I might as well be. Have not had to utilize it in about 10 years.

I have been handed the unenviable task of setting up and maintaining a database for tracking personnel changes. Turns out it is several thousand positions spread across several divisions. (Serves me right for opening my mouth). I had originally started the tracking in Excel, but the sheer number of positions, the corresponding data and the formulas needed to track changes keep causing Excel to stall and crash.

I have turned to Access since it seems to be more robust and I can import the data from Excel.

So far, I have set up the tables for data that does not change much week over week (i.e. Position ID #, Position Description, Division, Position Level, Supervisor, Location… etc). Those are not all the categories, but you get the idea.

Where I am coming up short is in the query area. I can run basic queries. Where I am running into a brick wall is queries using calculations.
    For example, we get a weekly report that shows the headcount by position number and description. This amount varies week over week. I have configured that past several reports into individual tables in my database. I am trying to create a query that would do the following:
    1) 1) Compare the data in the tables for two different weeks.

2) 2) Sort out the position headcounts that show a difference.

3) 3) Show the positions that have headcount differences for each of the two weeks being examined. For example, Headcount as of 3/26, Headcount as of 3/19, Headcount Difference.

4) 4) Calculate the difference between the two week-to-week headcounts.

I have used the Query Wizard for the Find Unmatched Query. This only does part of what I am looking for The Find Unmatched Query shows me the Positions that do not have a headcount match. It doesn’t show me the Headcount as of 3/26, Headcount as of 3/19.
    Any of you experts know of a way I can do this?

Thanks – Southpaw.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I have configured that past several reports into individual tables in my database.
    I do not understand this statement. Should not be multiple tables for the same kind of data.

Post example of raw data and desired output.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.