Di229 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Rookie Question

Hi All,

Apologies for an extremely rookie question, but I confess I know absolutely nothing about Microsoft Access.

I have been led to believe (from a source nearly as uninformed as myself) that Access might be able to make my job slightly easier.

I am producing a large number of documents (around 90 word files), all of which are supposed to look exactly identical, with the exception that a few names are changed around etc.

Is this something that Access could help with, and if so - how?

Thank you for your time and apologies for my ignorance.

Dan

Create an Excel table with list of persons (fore- and last names, initials, titles, etc) and other non-static info.

In Word, create a Mail Merge document with this Excel table as source.

Open Mail Merge document in Word, select a person from list or set a filter on person list, and run Mail Merge - a document for every filtered person is created/printed (or e-mail is sent).

Di229 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Whenever I'm running the merge I'm getting just one document with the same content repeated 90 times (with obviously the fields filled in differently for each bit). how do I make it export to several documents?

OK. It's a long time I myself used MM, so I forgot , that the only way to save documents as separate files from MM is print them as PDF files. Not a bad solution IMHO!

When the PDF is not acceptable, then maybe the solution described here is:https://word.tips.net/T001538_Mergin...ual_Files.html

Di229 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ah that sucks! My doc is around 90 pages, and I need to replicate it 90+ times so it's coming out with a doc which is just too huge to open. Would anyone have an idea how to do this - maybe with Access?

Select a single person, Run MM, save as <PersonDocument.doc>, select next person, etc.

Of course there is a possibility to create a VBA procedure in MM document, which does all this automatically (i.e. cycles through person list, generates a document, and saves it with name from person list). Maybe you ask from Word forum about this? I myself haven't written procedures for Word, so I can't help without studying this myself.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Di229 View Post
    Ah that sucks! My doc is around 90 pages, and I need to replicate it 90+ times so it's coming out with a doc which is just too huge to open. Would anyone have an idea how to do this - maybe with Access?
    I also haven't done this for a while but I don't recall this being an issue with Word docs.
    Have you tried using Albert Kallal's 'super easy mail merge' utility?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.