kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Can anyone explain this unexpected behavior?

This is really just a question for discussion and not a problem that needs solving.

I have a form bound to a table, this table has related tables. My form has various buttons that manipulate records in the related tables. When I click these buttons I'm forced to run requeries on relevant listboxes, subforms, etc to show the results of the manipulations, this is what I would fully expect.

Here's the funny part I did not expect: I have a textbox on the main form that has a control source linking back to a vba function I've defined in the form's module. This vba function runs an aggregate query on related tables and returns the result, the textbox displays the result. What's funny is the textbox automatically refreshes without me having to requery it...?

It doesn't seem to matter how the related tables were manipulated, from my main form or from a subform, the textbox automatically runs the vba function I defined and refreshes itself.

Where is the trigger here exactly? Is this auto-refresh reliable or should I hard code refreshes at appropriate times?

Nothing unexpected there! A unbound form with formula is calculated, whenever the record changes, or when the form is refreshed. When you don't want uncontrolled refresh, then you have to remove the formula calling the function from textbox, and add a button to refresh textbox. On-click event of button writes the value returned by your function into textbox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    Nothing unexpected there! A unbound form with formula is calculated, whenever the record changes, or when the form is refreshed.
    But the form IS bound, and the record bound to the form is not changed, only records in associated tables were changed. The form ISN'T being refreshed. Note that the form is bound to a table directly and not to a query that brings in those associated tables...

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I did a little more investigating, it seems that the textbox is requering itself whenever my code requerys a List Box control. However, the textbox does not requery itself when my code requerys a subform. Again, at no time am I requerying/refreshing the form itself, I usually specify the control to requery.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I think Arvil meant to say "A unbound textbox with formula is calculated ..."

A textbox with an expression is not 'requeryed', it is 'recalculated'. A dataset is requeryed as in a RecordSource or RowSource.

So the textbox calculation is dependent on the same query the listbox uses as RowSource?

What is this function returning to the textbox?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Again, at no time am I requerying/refreshing the form itself, I usually specify the control to requery.
    Any change to the form - and requerying a list box is changing the form - will cause the textbox to be recalculated.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I think Arvil meant to say "A unbound textbox with formula is calculated ..."

A textbox with an expression is not 'requeryed', it is 'recalculated'. A dataset is requeryed as in a RecordSource or RowSource.

So the textbox calculation is dependent on the same query the listbox uses as RowSource?

What is this function returning to the textbox?
    We'll my function that the text box calls runs a query

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Any change to the form - and requerying a list box is changing the form - will cause the textbox to be recalculated.
    I see. Thanks for the information gents!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.