Sunny8760 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Quotation DB with EU and Cust

Hi,
    I have taken MS Access classes in university but the simple examples we learned are not able to resolve my problem at work.

I'm trying to create a quotation tracking database that contains the following tables, not sure if they are all required,
    -contacts (people working at the companies that will send us request for quotations),
    -end-users (my customer's customer)
    -orders (to track the quote numbers and it’s progress along our business process)
    -members (my co-workers who will use this database)
    -companies (table for all company names)
    -country (to store a common list of countries which are used in the end-user and customer table)
    -status (to indicate if a quote is active, inactive…)

Business Process:
    Contact from a particular company will send us a request for a quote.
    He/she will include an end-user form indicating where this product will be shipped and what it will be used for (required for export purposes).
    We will prepare a quote and track it’s progress to see if it can be converted to an order.
    One quote is turned into an order the process stops (I don’t have the skills to create PO’s or other subsequent steps).

Though it may not be obvious, the EU and Customer have many common fields, such as, address, company name, company address, business overview (what they do). However, 1 customer can have multiple end-users, and 1 end-user can issue their requests to multiple customers.

For example. Customer A wants a quote for a sensor. The sensor will be installed at Enduser X's plant in some country. This same Enduer's request can be sent to us via Customer B, C, etc.

Attached is my table relationship structure.

Looking for your feedback. Thank you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	33159

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Using a picture of your data model and some sample scenarios with test data, does your model allow you to access all of the data needed for your designed outputs? You can do this with pencil and paper.
    End users often refers to those who will use a computer system. Your use is different - a CustomerClient concept.

see this stump the model info for ideas.

Good luck.

Sunny8760 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you for your feedback.

Using the order entry form (form connected to order table and combo boxes for customer and end-users) I can enter an order without problems using customer/endusers already entered into their respective tables.

However, if I start an order and the required customer is not in the combo box list, I try adding a new customer. The customer portion of the customer form works ok; however, on the same form I have fields for the company to which this customer is supposed belong to. As soon as I attempt entry of information about the company, Access throws an error "A problem occurred while MS Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control..."

I'm unsure why this is happening, but I suspect it has something to do with the parent child relationship between Customer and Company, perhaps?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.