jimradio is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Volatile List of Categories to Choose From

I have a feeling this is either going to be too complicated to do or it's so ridiculously simple to do that I'm just missing it. So any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Here's what I've got:

I'm creating a database to help manage tools used at a given workstation. I've got a few dozen workstations, each with different configurations (for example mechanical assembly, electrical assembly, and product support). Each workstation would require different tools based on its configuration. For example, a mechanical assembly workstation would require tools like torque wrenches while an electrical assembly workstation would require soldering irons.

I have a table set up for each workstation with it's ID number, the employee ID of the person working at that station, they type of workstation it's set up to be, and the location of the workstation. I have another table set up to list each tool required at each type of workstation (two fields: "jctTypes" for the type of workstation and "jctToolTypes" for a generic description of the tool required, i.e. "Soldering Iron", "Torque Wrench", "Digital Multi-Meter", etc.). I have a third table set up with a list of tools available with a number of different fields including Tool ID, Manufacturer, Model, Tool Type (the same generic description used in "jctToolTypes" mentioned before), and a few measurements to help determine ESD classification. Finally, I have a fourth table set up to be a junction table (three fields: "jctBenchID" for the workstation ID, "jctToolID" for the tool ID number, and "txtToolStatus" indicating whether the tool has been ordered, installed, or is out for calibration).

My question is this: How would I create a form that could help combine all of this information? I'd like to be able to choose a workstation ID number from a combobox, have it list all of the generic tool descriptions required for that workstation based on the workstation type, and allow me to choose a tool from each category (that is, a list of all available torque wrenches for the "Torque Wrench" category or a list of all available DMMs from the "Digital Multi-Meter" category).

I'm pretty proficient in VBA, so I won't shy away from some code and I'm very open if there's a more efficient way to organize my data assuming it will help me accomplish this task.

Thanks!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you should use 1 table. All workstations are in it. (you can combine them)
    set the PC for the user ,to use that 1 station. (i use a tConfig local table)
    another table tWsTools, you would assign the tools to that station. pulled from the tTools table?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Welcome.

I suggest you show us a jpg of your tables and relationships.

What is ESD classification?

Have you tried to "mock up" a form to show the information? Once you know what the form will contain/display, you can work back to the source of the info and devise queries etc to get the data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks!

ESD Classification is just a way to determine how dangerous a tool would be around parts that are sensitive to electrostatic discharge. It doesn't really apply to this particular conversation - I just mentioned it to state that there was additional information in the tools table.

Relationship diagram below. Hope that helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Relationship Diagram.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	33059

As far as creating a mock-up form, here's a basic layout of what I'd like to have:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form Layout.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	33060

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    What is ESD classification?
    For tools, generally it shows how prone is the tool to cause electrostatic harm.

For some workstations, the worker has to wear special clothing, headwear and footwear, to wear grounding bracelets on feets/hands, etc. because of ESD rules.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    For tools, generally it shows how prone is the tool to cause electrostatic harm.

For some workstations, the worker has to wear special clothing, headwear and footwear, to wear grounding bracelets on feets/hands, etc. because of ESD rules.
    Bingo! You got it!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    ranman256, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you sketch out your solution somehow, please?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.