Peter M is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit

Problem with Import CSV via XML but columns auto-order and type violations occur

I routinely import multiple CSV data files using a XML script to set the data type, skip unnecessary fields, and apply indices and import the data into a unique DB per CSV file. The resulting file is typically close to 1 GB making it almost impossible to change the data type and/or index a field after a regular CSV import. It also very tedious to go through the wizard to create a new spec when there are variations in the base file. There are between 30 and 60 data fields depending on the flavor of the data extract.

This used to work flawlessly except I am now having problems where the data fields are being automatically ordered alphabetically and Type Conversion Failures are being triggered.

The underlying script is roughly:

Code:
    xmlStr = ""
    xmlStr = xmlStr & "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & "<ImportExportSpecification Path = '" & filepath & "' xmlns='urn:www.microsoft.com/office/access/imexspec' >" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <ImportText TextFormat='Delimited' FirstRowHasNames='true' FieldDelimiter=',' TextDelimiter='{DoubleQuote}' CodePage='1252' Destination = '& DestTableName & "' > " & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <DateFormat DateOrder='MDY' DateDelimiter='/' TimeDelimiter=':' FourYearDates='true' DatesLeadingZeros='false' />" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <NumberFormat DecimalSymbol='.' />" & vbCrLf
      xmlStr = xmlStr & " <Columns PrimaryKey='{none}' >" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <Column Name='Col1' FieldName='LongStringID_NotUnique' Indexed='YESDUPLICATES' SkipColumn='false' DataType='Text' />" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <Column Name='Col2' FieldName='EventType' Indexed='YESDUPLICATES' SkipColumn='false' DataType='Text' />" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " <Column Name='Col3' FieldName='EventDate' Indexed='NO' SkipColumn='false' DataType='DateTime' />" & vbCrLf

etc.
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " </Columns>" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & " </ImportText>" & vbCrLf
    xmlStr = xmlStr & "</ImportExportSpecification>"
    The resulting output is two tables:
    DestTableName
    EventDate (no data)
    EventType (populated with LongStringID values)
    LongStringID (populated with EventDate value)

DestTableName_ImportErrors
    Errror = Type Conversion Failure
    Field = EventDate

Any idea why the columns are being auto-ordered? How do I prevent it? This also isn't happening with all of my scripts and I cannot tell the difference between them. (They all look the same as above only with variation in the number of columns.)

Thanks in advance

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    have you tried importing csv into xl (using import text), then import the xl to Access?

Peter M is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    There are more than a million records per file. (I just checked one file and it has 1,629,446. Excel's limit is 1,048,576.)
    I don't fully understand the XML syntax. e.g. Why does it require <Column Name="Col1" and FieldName="DescriptiveName" ... />.
    If I could force a sort, I could then ensure that it sorts on Name instead of FieldName.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.