Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    enginerdUNH is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Report shows up like continuous report in report view

Hi,

I created a report that when i use acViewReport to run the report, when i scroll down all the way to the bottom of the report, where the report page should have date and page number fields, the report changes colors and repeats the information from the report above. Not sure why this is happening and how to fix this issue. Any help is appreciated.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    very odd. It should not.
    open the rpt in design mode, then view it in Preview.
    Does it happen there?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    very odd. It should not.
    open the rpt in design mode, then view it in Preview.
    Does it happen there?
    By put it in Preview do you mean print preview? I tried this and it does not appear funky which is weird. is there a VBA command similar to acViewReport that i should be using instead to put it into print preview instead?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by enginerdUNH View Post
    By put it in Preview do you mean print preview? I tried this and it does not appear funky which is weird. is there a VBA command similar to acViewReport that i should be using instead to put it into print preview instead?
    I did a little searching after I posted that message and found acViewPrevew as the command for running they report to display in print preview. Thanks for your help

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I spoke too soon when i said it doesn't look weird. When I put the report in print preview mode, it shows the one page report as two pages which are identical with the exception of the background color.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I spoke too soon when i said it doesn't look weird. When I put the report in print preview mode, it shows the one page report as two pages which are identical with the exception of the background color.
    You do not get 'pages' in Report view - only in Print Preview

There is an alternate back color property for the detail section and for all group header and footer sections
    This is normally set to a pale grey by default but you can change to white if you want.
    Check this in the property sheet for each section

My guess is that your report is too long to fit on one page and you are seeing the alternate back colour
    Try reducing / removing unnecessary space between items vertically and see if that helps fit everything on one page
    You can also reduce the size of page margins
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    You do not get 'pages' in Report view - only in Print Preview

There is an alternate back color property for the detail section and for all group header and footer sections
    This is normally set to a pale grey by default but you can change to white if you want.
    Check this in the property sheet for each section

My guess is that your report is too long to fit on one page and you are seeing the alternate back colour
    Try reducing / removing unnecessary space between items vertically and see if that helps fit everything on one page
    You can also reduce the size of page margins
    As I said, I was looking at the report in print preview mode which allows me to see the number of total pages and to see each page individually.

I also checked the rulers on the report in design view and the area with content is less than a letter size page with .25" margins so this should not be an issue. It has to be something else.

You were originally talking about report view which is why I mentioned it.

Suggest you do screenshots of your report:
    a) design view
    b) print preview with 2 pages side by side for comparison

Did you look at alternate back colour?
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would also expect the issue is a spill over. Often there is an obscure line that hides just under (above or below) a header/footer/detail section dividing bar. The way to find it when you think all your controls are far enough over to the left is to click-drag an area just to the right of you right-most control, over all the sections. If you have no room for that, you can temporarily widen the report in design view and try again. If anything is 'captured' it will be discovered. If you have no lines in your report, then save that tip for another day.
    Last edited by Micron; 03-12-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelin, gramur or punkchooayshun
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You were originally talking about report view which is why I mentioned it.

Suggest you do screenshots of your report:
    a) design view
    b) print preview with 2 pages side by side for comparison

Did you look at alternate back colour?
    Hopefully the screenshots I got are good enough for you to help me out. Let me know if not and I can try to get better ones.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_1.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	33040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_2.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	33041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_3.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	33042

I thought you said a one page report was taking up two pages. This screenshot says there are 16 pages but there appears to be no data
    It look like the controls are slightly too wide for the page but I don't think that's the full explanation

Suggest you upload a cut down version of your database with the report and all other objects needed by the report

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I thought you said a one page report was taking up two pages. This screenshot says there are 16 pages but there appears to be no data
    It look like the controls are slightly too wide for the page but I don't think that's the full explanation

Suggest you upload a cut down version of your database with the report and all other objects needed by the report
    Colin, I never said it was a one page report that was taking up two pages. I said the report was structured that it fits all on one page and yet the report when put in print preview shows as you can see where the first page is repeated on all the remaining pages as the second page shows. I don't have any data entered into those field yet which is why the report appears empty. I don't know that i can upload a cut down version of the database unfortunately.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Also, when i look at the report on my screen, none of the data goes outside of the margins and as the screenshots above show, the ruler in design mode shows that the report area is nowhere near the size of the margins.

If there is no data then why does it take up 16 pages?
    Normally a report with no data will be empty and may not print at all.

Assuming you showed the entire report design, the reasons lie elsewhere in the report structure or properties.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If there is no data then why does it take up 16 pages?
    Normally a report with no data will be empty and may not print at all.

Assuming you showed the entire report design, the reasons lie elsewhere in the report structure or properties.
    Yes what I showed is the entire report design. I have also included two screenshots of the layout view on the report to see if that helps. As you can see, I have show margins checked so that you can see them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_4.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	33043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_5.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	33044
    And since you said it may lie in the report structure or properties I have attached a screenshot of each tab on the properties.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_6.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	33045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_7.PNG 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	33046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report_8.PNG 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	33047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.