Kiko Janneman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

A little help (with my report)

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this Forum and new the Microsoft Acces and i hope you guys can help me out with some questions?

A brief description of what I am doing and why I want to learn how to use Acces. Since August last year I've started working on a Dairy/Beef farm in Kenya. All our records are kept in books, on cards and in boxes. Basically a lot of data in a lot of different places. We all agree digitalising these records would be a great idea but where to start... The farm has records going back to 1959 so there is a lot to be processed. So over the last couple of weeks I've been looking how we could digitalize this data the best and most cost friendly way. I know how to use excel very well but I think the amount of data and the fact it would be really nice to run certain queries made me decide to learn how to use MS Acces.

So over the last week I've been practising with Tables, Forms, Queries and Reports. The general problems I started running into are primarily related to making the reports show the right data (but that might be related to how I run queries?). I thought i would post one of my problems in this post and see how you guys can help me from here. I hope by solving this problem to get more fimiliar with Acces and improve me skills.

Problem:

In the pictures below i've shown how I am processing our dairy herd into Acces. Basically i've made 4 tables; 1 for general cow detail such as date of birth, number, name etc..., 1 for calving records of cows, 1 for production records of cows and 1 for service records of cows. In all these tables i've included the number and names of the cows as i thought that would be easy to link (make relationships) the tables with each other. after doing these tables i've created 4 forms that make entering the data easier. After this i started experimenting with Queries and reports. So for this example I want to create a report that shows me the general cow details (Number, name, Sire info, Dam info, Date of Birth) on the top. In the 'detail' part of the report i then want to show the Calving dates, service records and production records for this same cow.

What I've done:
    I've been trying to create a report that shows the general cow details in the page header and than show all the calving records, production records and service records in the 'detail' part. The problem i run into is that the report will only show the 1st calf, the 1st service record, the 1 production records and doesnt show all the others. Any idea on how I can achieve something like this?

Please see the attached picture to see what i've done,

Thanks in advance!

Kiko
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails production records.jpg   Calving records.jpg   General Cow details.jpg   Report.jpg   Query.jpg  

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Suggest you show your query in design view and/or SQL view
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Kiko,

Here is a link to more info on Database Planning and Design.
    Working through the tutorial(s) re RogersAccessLibrary mentioned in the link is a great help in designing tables and relationships to meet you requirements.

You may get some ideas from this older post where pedigree was discussed.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 03-09-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added link to pedigree info

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    kiko-Cows-davegri01.zip
    You shouldn't have the cow name, number, etc in each table. A link back to a master table can pick all that up.
    See the attachment.
    You may want to create a Sire table. I have the Bulls in the Cows table and I'm sure neither appreciates that.
    Your report has to be a main report based on tblCows. For the other sections, you need a subreport placed on the main reporr based on the table with pertinent data. See an example of that report construction in the DB.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.