Drewd is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Not Sure if done in Form or in Table

So I am building a quote database in an existing customer database for the company I work for. I have a master table where the quotes are stored once entered in the form. The first section is basic either a manual entry or using combo boxes tied to tables, but when I get to the parts selection I would like based on the description selected it to auto fill the cost per part plus the selling price. I have a single table built for this listing part description, cost price, and list price. Do I make the connection in the table or do I make the connection in the form? Based on which one how do I do it?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Options:

1. use multi-column combobox that includes the descriptive fields (can be hidden columns), then textbox has expression that references column of combobox by index, index begins with 0 so if the info is in column 2 its index is 1: =combobox.column(1)

2. include the lookup table in the form RecordSource by joining to the data table, bind textboxes to descriptive fields and set Locked Yes and TabStop No

3. DLookup() expression in textbox

If you want to save the price into the record that will require code (macro or VBA).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Drewd is offline Novice
    If I use option #1 can I still use for a calculated field when applying a quantity to value to get a total price. If so how do I word the expression?

Drewd is offline Novice
    One of the fields is a text field and the other is a number field I have double checked in the table I am pulling from to populate the multi column combo box.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, should be able to use the values from combobox column in calculations.

I already describe how to reference the columns. So either use that or reference the textboxes that reference the combobox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Drewd is offline Novice
    That did work thank you for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.