RUSTY DUSTY is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

Angry Can anyone help me access my database???

Until recently we paid for the use of some commercial software but unfortunately having received a letter from the provider that he was going to retire but would continue the service until the end of 2018 he appears to have done a runner? I now have my company service user records locked in a database which I cannot access because although my user password still works the yearly subscription password does not. I pay monthly for the service and have tried without success to contact him over the last 3 weeks. The programme runs on access runtime 2002 although I have full versions of Access 2002 and 2010. The problem appears to be with an MDE file? Any help greatly appreciated....

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Talking

he needs to send you the .mdb.
    If he's retiring, then he wont mind.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have not experienced your issue, nor do I have any affiliation with Wayne Phillips or EverythingAccess.
    However, I have seen comments about his organization, and some tutorials and forum responses from him.
    He offers services to convert mde to mdb etc, so I suggest it's worth contacting him through his website .
    You could get a quote and make your decision.

I don't know of anyone else offering the service.

Here is a link to the FAQ's from his site. https://www.everythingaccess.com/mdeconversion_faqs.htm

Do you have any documentation or design materials related to this database? If so, or if you wanted to extend your database based on
    changing business needs, then a new database could be an option.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

"I am unable to contact him", he has disconnected his mobile (number not obtainable), his home number is not being answered and he is not responding to emails. I have to say this is not like him!!!

Hi,

I appreciate the response.

I have got a great deal of software, upgrades and an original user manual from over the years as well as the folders and files within the system folder and will therefore see what Wayne has to say.

Many thanks

Hi,

I have just spoken with Wayne via email and unfortunately it is not good news. Wayne replied to my question of whether he could help, having forwarded a letter from the owner in which he confirms what I have said. "unfortunately not. For legal reasons, we can only offer our services to the owner of the intellectual property. As this is a licenced application, albeit now freely licenced, the developer retains ownership of the intellectual property (i.e. source code)".

Looks like I have a busy time ahead finding a suitable alternative and Data inputting all our records.

Sorry to hear that Wayne can not process the material, but I certainly understand the implications. I take it that you have reviewed any contracts with the provider and options should the company fail or other circumstances.

What is the immediate impact on your operation? When the "free licence" approach comes into effect does it give you anything - allow operation while you get another database/support system in place?

Perhaps if you describe the business in overview readers may have some focused advice/alternatives.
    Good luck.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Perhaps go round to his address and knock on the door?

presumably the db is split into front end and backend, with the data in the backend. If so, you should be able to link to it from another (empty) .mdb and extract the data. There are ways around finding the password if it is password protected, but your forms/reports etc in the front end will not be recoverable without the original source (mdb).

However the data may not be stored how you see it on the screen, so you will also need to work out how it all fits together. And then you need to build a new front end to manage it. Unless you are an access wizard, suspect you will need to commission someone to build it for you.

Hi,

I received a letter from the software developer early December stating that he was retiring and that he would cease trading at the end of 2018. Because of this he stated that he would send out an installation dick that has a 100 year time period for its use in April 2018.

My software license expired yesterday and it is this which I have been trying to renew for the last 3 weeks without success. Unfortunately the guy who is retiring is away on holiday in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia/New Zealand) which he told me about but has always responded to requests & problems in the past. I have tried to email/phone/facebook etc without success.

I own & manage a Domiciliary Home Care Agency and my records of staff, service users, rosters, training, invoicing etc etc are all held within this software. I have changed the dates to 01/01/18 on the PC's which are running this system in order to keep it going.

Minty is online now VIP
    If you can get in to it with the dates changed, then you can get to the data from another database.
    That would allow you at least to make sensible accessible copies of the underlying data.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Hi,

The problem I have is that although I can copy all of the information this has all happened in quick time.

Not only do I need to copy the information but I have to find a suitable replacement system and then input all the data which will probably take the best part of a month.

Regards

Regardless of the solution, you should have current documentation on your business processes- sufficient to communicate with anyone offering assistance. You will need such info if you have to rebuild processes/procedures to capture and manipulate and report info.

What is your plan to get a replacement system in a month?

If you haven't anything positive to add please say nothing......

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Regardless of the solution, you should have current documentation on your business processes- sufficient to communicate with anyone offering assistance. You will need such info if you have to rebuild processes/procedures to capture and manipulate and report info.

What is your plan to get a replacement system in a month?
    Hi,

Obviously not, I am already trialling replacement systems but thats the easy part ......................

If you find an off-the-shelf product that meets your requirements--that's fantastic.
    But most such products are generic and need to be customized --and it's that customization that needs analysis and design; then incorporation and thorough testing.

As has been mentioned, you can probably get your data from the current system. But getting the replacement system to have similar tables structure and relationships could be problematic.

Not trying to be negative--just trying to identify some potential hurdles so you can be aware and forewarned.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.