mrsdeapsleap is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Use some kind of lookup to autofill form from data in previous field

Hi all,<br><br>First time poster here, please be gentle!&nbsp; Used to know my way round Access, but that was a good few years ago...I am more of an Excel girl these days!<br><br>I have a table and form that records mobile phone issues (I have tried to attach, but when I upload the file, it doesn't show in the list?).&nbsp; As I won't be the only one using the database, I need the issue form to be as automated as possible.&nbsp; Where possible I have used drop downs on the form to ensure data is entered consistently.&nbsp; The issue I have is I need some kind of lookup, so that when I choose a specific handset type (model) from the drop down list, it then autofills in the form (and mainly the table), what type of phone that is; i.e. smart phone or basic phone.&nbsp; The table it needs to look at for this info is phone type.&nbsp; I did previously manage to get this working, but than had problems with the table not showing all the data in the table!<br><br>Any help will be gladly appreciated!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sounds like:

BaldyWeb - Autofill
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Options:

1. use multi-column combobox that includes the descriptive fields (can be hidden columns), then texbox has expression that references column of combobox by index, index begins with 0 so if the info is in column 2 its index is 1: =combobox.column(1)

2. include the lookup table in the form RecordSource by joining to the data table, bind textboxes to descriptive fields and set Locked Yes and TabStop No

3. DLookup() expression in textbox

This descriptive info should not be saved to the data table, only the lookup table ID should be saved then retrieve related info in queries when needed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.