Af7082a is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Wanting to Link Two Separate Forms to the Main Form Record

So I'm making a database to track customer complaints. In one form I have all the main information for one customer complaint. But I created a second form for additional complaints, where I only want this form to be used if there are more than one complaint. For example I have a button that opens the second form but when it opens the second form, it starts off as a new record for that form, while I want it to be on the same record that the first for is on. Is there any way to link the second form to the record in the first form? I'm new to Access so any information will be helpful.

I forgot to mention that all information on both forms are going into one table, if that makes a different, for example if there is only one complaint the additional complaint records stay empty. They are only used when there are additional complaints.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    if your tComplaint table has an autonumber field....then the new record could store it in say: RefFrom 999 (reference the original ID # that started it.)

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Sounds like you have a "one to many" process where you have the "one" side of customer info and the "many" side of complaints. You should have 2 tables something like:
    tblCustomer: CustID(autonumber), CustName, ...
    tblComplaints: ComplaintID(autonumber), CustID(this is linking field to tblCustomer), ComplaintDesc, ComplaintDate, ...

So you would have frmCustomer which would have Customer data at top and include a subform frmComplaints below that to add the complaints. in the subform frmComplatints property LInkMaster and LinkChild, use CustID to link the 2 forms.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have multiple columns for complaints? Each complaint should be its own record. This is what Bulzie describes with the 2 table structure. Otherwise, you just have a 'flat file' table like a spreadsheet instead of a relational database.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.