Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Queries, forms, tables (and I think reports and macros) can all be opened in an mde or accde. Queries, macros and tables can even be opened in design view. In the case of queries, you can even see the sql statement.
    All true (including viewing reports and macro design ....if that's what you want to do) ....but you can also lock things down so that tables & queries are hidden
    Better still ensure the nav pane & ribbon are both hidden, special keys including shift bypass disabled and disable the database options menu so users have no method of re-enabling anything.
    You can also run an ACCDE file using the runtime switch which adds another level of security.

By doing all of this you can have a completely empty database window and minimal File menu (File/Print/Exit).
    See below for possibly the most boring Access screenshots of all time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	32686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	32687

As an aside, I've found that if you then add password protection, you can really annoy a user who doesn't know the password by making the taskbar disappear as well!!

If they complain, you can say it was a deliberate measure to prevent misuse!

Having said all of that, there is still a way of viewing hidden tables from another database if you know how to do it!
    Access can NEVER be made totally secure
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Agree with most of that. My intent was to address what the comment seemed to imply; namely that making the file an accde or mde is enough to make the sql invisible, which is what the poster seems to want to do. In fact, just doing that hides next to nothing, save for form design and all the project code. You can do most of the things you mention and still leave the db as mdb or accdb.
    I will also agree that in it's current design, Access db's can't 100% secure from prying eyes. As for
    so users have no method of re-enabling anything
    Not sure about that. I can write code to enable the shift bypass on an external db, so maybe I could do the same and alter other properties such as whether or not the nav pane is visible as well. I just have never tried, thus I don't know how many db properties are exposed that way.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with most of that. My intent was to address what the comment seemed to imply; namely that making the file an accde or mde is enough to make the sql invisible, which is what the poster seems to want to do. In fact, just doing that hides next to nothing, save for form design and all the project code. You can do most of the things you mention and still leave the db as mdb or accdb.
    Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent there - it wasn't intended to be a criticism of your comment
    I agree that almost all of this 'lockdown' can be done from a standard accdb file - for example, the example database in this link https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=69856

I will also agree that in it's current design, Access db's can't 100% secure from prying eyes. As for Not sure about that. I can write code to enable the shift bypass on an external db, so maybe I could do the same and alter other properties such as whether or not the nav pane is visible as well. I just have never tried, thus I don't know how many db properties are exposed that way.
    If you can unlock the shift bypass externally, then I suspect you can alter other properties in the same way. I've not tried to do either of those things
    I deliberately didn't say how to view hidden tables in my post.
    Rather than posting the code to unlock the shift bypass externally, I would be grateful if you could send suitable code to me by PM or using the email link in my signature line

Many thanks
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.