Combined Field Criteria VBA

I have a query that I made using VBA;

Code:
    Dim strSql As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim strCriteria As String
    Dim strFields As String

strFields = "[tblPatient].[PatientID], [tblPatient].[FirstName] & ' ' & [tblPatient].[LastName] AS PatientName, DateOfBirth, [tblPatient].[FacilityID]"

strCriteria = ""
    If Not IsNull(Me.PatientName) Then
    strCriteria = " WHERE [PatientName] Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientName] & "*'"
    End If

strSql = "SELECT " & strFields & "  FROM tblPatient" & strCriteria
    qdf.SQL = strSql
    When running this the query cannot determine what field the PatientName belongs to if there is a value in the textbox "PatientName", but if there is nothing in that text box the query is made with the PatientName field populated.

What can I do to fix this so that the strCriteria works properly and the query has a field with the proper criteria.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Before the last statement, add this line: Debug.Pring strSQL. Then copy it from the immediate window and paste into a new query window, fix it there and make the same changes in your code.

NickWren is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2013
    I just tried this one too; where if there is something in PatientID1 I get all the values that have that ex. "1" ill get 0001, 0010, 0011...
    Now that I want between values PatientID1 through PatientID2 it gives me a syntax error; instead of giving me the values 1-5 as I wanted.

Code:
    If Not IsNull(Me.PatientID1) And IsNull(Me.PatientID2) Then
    If (Len(strCriteria) > 0) Then
    strCriteria = strCriteria & " AND [tblPatient].[PatientID] Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] & "*'"
    Else
    strCriteria = " WHERE [tblPatient].[PatientID] Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] & "*'"
    End If
    ElseIf Not IsNull(Me.PatientID1) And Not IsNull(Me.PatientID2) Then
    strCriteria = strCriteria & " AND NumericPatientID: Val([tblPatient].[PatientID]) Between [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] And [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]"
    Else
    strCriteria = " WHERE NumericPatientID: Val([tblPatient].[PatientID]) Between [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] And [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]"
    End If
    End If

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is PatientName bound to field? Is this textbox purpose to input filter criteria? If so, it should not be bound to field, otherwise you change value of record.

Why don't you concatenate the textbox instead of the field?

Suggest you name textbox different from the field, such as tbxPatID.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2013
    Thank you Aytee111; that helped me fix my first error; I will try it with the next error right now.

Code:
    SELECT tblPatient.PatientID, [tblPatient].[FirstName] & ' ' & [tblPatient].[LastName] AS PatientName, tblPatient.DateOfBirth, tblPatient.FacilityID
    FROM tblPatient
    WHERE ((([tblPatient].[FirstName] & ' ' & [tblPatient].[LastName]) Like '*s*'));

Windows XP Access 2013
    PatientName is not a bound field; if anything its a calculated or just a combined field of FirstName and LastName on tblPatient. (on the search form its unbound)
    The Textboxes are used for the criteria; so I want patient 1 through patient 10: PatientID1 = 1 And PatientID2 = 10
    Using the query below sorta works; PatientID1 = 1 and PatientID2 = 10 but I also get anything with a 1 or 10 in it (110, 111, 210, 211); which I dont see where I am going wrong with that; I change the "[Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1]" to 1 and "[Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]" to 10 and it works fine.

I should also note that the Patient ID looks like 000001MM so Val() turns it into 1. ex. 000100MM = 100

Code:
    SELECT tblPatient.PatientID, [tblPatient].[FirstName] & ' ' & [tblPatient].[LastName] AS PatientName, tblPatient.DateOfBirth, tblPatient.FacilityID
    FROM tblPatient
    WHERE (((Val([tblPatient].[PatientID])) Between [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] And [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]));

What about "Val([Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1]..."?

Windows XP Access 2013
    I fixed both queries so thank you for any advice given, I will probably post here again when I need help with the criteria portion of this; I can get up to 3 so far ( I haven't tired more than that).

Code:
    strCriteria = ""
    If Not IsNull(Me.PatientName) Then
    strCriteria = " WHERE ((([tblPatient].[FirstName] & ' ' & [tblPatient].[LastName]) Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientName] & "*'))"
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.PatientID1) And IsNull(Me.PatientID2) Then
    strCriteria = strCriteria & " AND [tblPatient].[PatientID] Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] & "*'"
    Else
    strCriteria = " WHERE [tblPatient].[PatientID] Like '*" & [Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1] & "*'"
    End If
    ElseIf Not IsNull(Me.PatientID1) And Not IsNull(Me.PatientID2) Then
    strCriteria = strCriteria & " AND (Val([tblPatient].[PatientID]) Between Val([Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1]) And Val([Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]))"
    Else
    strCriteria = " WHERE (Val([tblPatient].[PatientID]) Between Val([Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1]) And Val([Forms]![frmDataExtraction]![PatientID2]))"
    End If
    End If

Windows XP Access 2013
    aytee111 I just tried that right before you posted it and it worked; I didn't think I would need to classify 1 as a numerical value, but I couldnt see how to tell the textbox that I want it be a numerical value when entered.

Not sure what you are doing with this, what you by "3", if you want to explain what you are trying to accomplish we may be able to help further.

BTW, no need to keep repeating the Forms!Formname - you could use "Me" throughout.

Windows XP Access 2013
    Very True I could have used Me. to reference the current form; I just wanted to make sure it was pulling the correct values; and I think I got the more than 3 criteria which I have posted on here before about; but never tried making a query through vba.

So a technician here would want to look up a Patient Name starting with "J", that is older than 30, and we received a sample in 2018. Before when putting this kind of criteria in a query it wouldnt be able to sift through the data to give me exactly what I wanted (I think it was due to the fact that it didnt know which criteria to look at first). but in VBA all I have to do is add an "AND" after the last criteria and it seems to put the data through properly (as of now)

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    or use a variable
    Dim strPat1 As String

strPat1 = Me.frmDataExtraction.PatientID1

... Like '*" & strPat1 & "*'"...

I would avoid using ! operator between form/report names and their controls ([frmDataExtraction]![PatientID1]).
    These references are not evaluated at compile time - only at run time. This means if you mistype the control name, it isn't evaluated until code runs. Forms!frmName is correct.
    More info on bang operator: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-and-ms-access
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.