ferrets is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question How to update records in a sub-form for a many-to-many relationship

Hello,

Apologies is this is fairly basic or if the answer has already been posted elsewhere. I'm new to this!

I have a database with two tables: Organisations and People. An organisation can comprise of many people and the people can also be members of more than one organisation. To show these links I created a third table which contains the OrgID and PeopleID. I then defined the relationships between the three tables to create a many to many link between Orgs and People.

After that I created a main Organisation form. I then created a query which included the IDs from the Link table and the fields from the People Table. I created a subform from the query and insert it into the main organisations form. I could then link the organisations to people by changing the person name into a combo field, row source to the person ID etc.

This all worked fine if I had people that were already created and I wanted to link them to the organisation.

However, I would like to be able to create new people records from the organisation subform, thereby directly linking the two. I just can't figure out how to do this last bit.

Any help would be appreciated!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, creating lookup records 'on the fly' is a very common question.

Here is one tutorial for one method http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut20.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

ferrets is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Brill. Many thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.