WCStarks is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Calculating percentages of participation in events

I originally posted this incorrectly under Forms, so I am repeating it here.

I have master tables: Members Table, and Events table, and an Activities child table associating Event participation by Members. From the Events perspective, I can see all who participated in that event, and from the Members perspective, I can see all events each member participated in.

The Activities child table contains, among other data, the Event Type and the Member names, along with the linking pointers to the parent Event and Members tables records. I need to count the total of each event type and total of each type which each of the members participated in. Then I need to display those totals and calculate the percentage participation for each event type for each member. I expect I can do this by counting the events of each type in the Events table and the Activities child table. I am sure it is not all that hard, but being somewhat awkward at this, I am struggling to see just how to do this in a report, to produce stats for each of multiple event types.

Any suggestions how best to do this?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You seem to be developing along a trial and error path with a physical database.
    That's an approach, but can be time consuming and frustrating when "issues" arise that require fundamental design changes.

You have told us about your tables, and are asking about how to do/implement certain detailed business processes using Access. You really haven't told us about the requirement in non-database, non-technical terms. A good and complete description of the business, a sample of desired outputs can often simplify design and development. Here's a link that may be useful.

You also seem to have a well laid out set of tables and relationships. Have you tried to isolate your specific requirement to the tables involved and, using pencil and paper, try to get your "algorithm/logic" to work. Like making a blueprint before building the building.

Good luck with your project.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I deleted your duplicate thread. In the future if you want to move a thread just press the triangle and make the request. All of the moderators will get the message.

As for an answer to your question(s), Reports make several passes before actually printing so they can sum a field for you and you can use that value to divide each of the values for a percentage. Give it a try.

WCStarks is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Thanks for cleaning up my blunder. Concerning the calculation. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the needed query or queries.

1) I have a table of Events of various types (categories). I need to do a count for each category, to use as a divisor for that category. I see this as one Query.
    2) I need to process the members and count how many times they participated in each event category, and provide a participation percentage of each Event category for each member, even for events they did not participate in. I imaging this would be a second query.
    3) I can see what the report would look like. It would list each member, with an indented list of event categories, with participation counts and percentages.

Would you be interested in outlining how I might do that.

You will learn more if you give it a try yourself. The Report is pretty good to get you started. Grouping and sorting ar controlsed *only* by the report so you feed it a query that includes all of the records you want and then dictate the grouping and sorting in the report.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.