Dadeo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Smile Single Line Graph

I am creating a line chart with dates on the bottom and numbers on the left from 6 to 12. I am trying to show only one line that hits each number. For example:

Date 1 6.8
    Date 2 7.2

Date 3 8
    Date 4 5
    Date 5 6

At each date is a number and the line should start at Date 1 point 6.8 and go up and down till it gets to Date 5 point 6

I tried hiding the the unwanted lines but then when a new date with a new number shows up so does the new line.

I been at this for a 1 1/2 days and I have no hair left (just a bit in the back)

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    To help your hair recover, I've created an example database using your example data & random dates
    Hopefully I've chosen the chart type you wanted but, if not, feel free to alter it

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is offline VIP
    Is that sample data truly representative? Only one datapoint for each date?

I expect you also want to limit the displayed data to a specified date range.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dadeo is offline Novice
    You nailed to my head. the only problem is when I try it on my database when creating a report it asks me for a cross tab. and yours don't. This is stopping me from continuing.

Open my form in design view and look at the record source used for the chart.
    Adapt this for your chart.
    Or import mine and drag the chart onto your report then modify the record source

Note - by default Access assumes date charts should be grouped by month.
    If you don't want that behaviour, you have to not use the default chart sql
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Dadeo is offline Novice
    Here is what I got See attached

I get hung up when deleting the data fields in the query. The system asks me for cross-tabs.

June7 is offline VIP
    Date is a reserved word (it is an intrinsic function). Should not use reserved words as names for anything.

Parameters is also a reserved word. Had to enclose in [].

Change the chart RowSource to:

SELECT [Date], [Ph] FROM [parameters];

Why were you formatting Date field?

Also, reduce width of chart so it fits within 8".
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I had just finished modifying your chart when I read June's reply
    Concur with everything June said but you may as well have the amended db being as I've done it.

Interestingly I didn't have to put the Parameters field in [] though the table was automatically modified in the SQL to include them

June7 is offline VIP
    I typed the SQL directly in RowSource property and triggered a Syntax error popup when I tried to switch to PrintPreview.

Parameters has special meaning in SQL statement.

Dadeo is offline Novice
    I played with Ridders52 version and had some trouble creating a new report but then it worked. I went back into my full database (I posted a modified version to be able to upload it.)I changed the two words that are reserved in the system and tried to create the chart once again. It worked! So being I used reserved words the system required me to include a cross-tab in the query? Before I was able to create the chart but when I went in to remove what the system created in the query there was a line that said cross-tab, now that word is gone. Ridders52 left the fields the same and got it to work. I am confused on what changed in my system. What cause the word cross-tab to show up that needs a parameter row or column? Also the other problem I had with my full database was the MS temp version of the chart (east west) was coming up every time I tried to edit the chart. The chart was correct and then when I went to edit it the MS version would appear. After opening it and saving it a few time that went away.

Also I want to take the time to thank everyone whom posted.
    Confused with no hair

To quote myself from post 5

Note - by default Access assumes date charts should be grouped by month.
    If you don't want that behaviour, you have to not use the default chart sql
    Therefore the default behaviour was for a crosstab query. I changed it to a select query.

Also the other problem I had with my full database was the MS temp version of the chart (east west) was coming up every time I tried to edit the chart. The chart was correct and then when I went to edit it the MS version would appear. After opening it and saving it a few time that went away.
    That is a very irritating Access 'feature'. The easiest fix I'm aware of is to open your data source then copy it to the clipboard
    Then open your chart in EDIT mode, select datasheet and OVERWRITE the East-West data by pasting the clipboard
    It will now show your chart in EDIT mode

Dadeo is offline Novice
    On your quote I double clicked on date and I had about 5 choices. I always selected Days. But what I just found is the way to change it from cross tab to select, that was what I needed to change and couldn't find the button until now.

Thanks everyone problem solved
    God Bless Fourms
    Hairless in Florida.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.