jja444 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to create tbales/relationships to account for items and groups of items

I am creating a sales database. Our customers have the option of purchasing items a la carte or they can purchase a preset package of items. Part of the database will also track inventory of the specific items. So, I would like to track the items that are ordered whether they are ordered a la carte or part of the standard packages. I cannot figure out how to represent this in my tables though. Any help?

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Disclaimer: I'm an amateur, just throwing something out there.

So you have items and packages. A package is just an item that is made up of other items, correct? What about an items table that is related to itself? Here's an example of what I was thinking
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relatioships3.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	32536

or if a package can have multiple of the same item in it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relatioships4.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	32537

deletethis.zip

The quantity in stock for the packages could be a calculated value. quantityInStock of a package = min( package's product's qty instock \ qty needed for package )
    I've attached the example db.
    *Note im using back slash for division rather than forward slash so the division will round down
    A potential issue here with calculated stock in packages is someone could order more of an item than is available, special care could be taken to prevent that. Is this a multi user environment?

Maybe it's a bad idea, idk... Hopefully the pros will be along soon to help you further.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    One assumes you have product list table.
    In your product list, packages are included as products.

Then you need a separate package table that lists/repeats package and product - 2 column minimum. In this table a product is a package (that may not make sense at first but just think of a product as a package of 1 product)

In your sales table they will select from the product list. As part of your order processing that joins to the package table so if they selected a product - it is one product, but if they selected a package - it joins to all records with a matching package ID.

in the end the order is of products - as that is the most granular set - and you include the package identity purely as presentation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.