View Poll Results: Potentially useful feature?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I see what you are getting at ... the worst offenders are often who think they know what they are doing
    But I still have my doubts about your scenario

Do all users have an ACCDE file with:
    a) nav pane & ribbon hidden
    b) limited menus
    c) shift bypass disabled - so they can't re-enable nav pane etc

d) HIDDEN tables - so these can't be viewed from an external database etc etc ...

And what happens when you, the developer, go on holiday or become ill and a problem arises?
    Who deals with the problem?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

SierraJuliet is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    The answer to a-d is yes, there is more too. I do not believe it matters if a developer is on holiday or is sick (explained later). Once the database is implemented ***AFTER*** it has undergone proper product testing then there are no problems so long as the good idea fairies are not permitted to dabble in things like the interface coding. Other than that the only issues involve operating system (hence the requirement for Windows), an update causes some anomaly with the frontend or backend for that matter (revert update and contact the OS folks), or some sort of firewall or IDPS is causing a problem. All of these scenarios can be troubleshooted by the network admins of the organization and has zero to do with the database "not working". Something else is building a handy dandy user manual and technical manual to which too many products these days are wholly lacking.

Ye should doubt not the force!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I have all of that and more as well ...
    but in a production environment where the developer is not on site, I don't believe there is any database that is so perfect that the only issues will be down to the network or OS!

Anyway, you may be interested in this thread that I started a few weeks ago at AWF: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=297691
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't think I misunderstand. I feel as developer that your admins are still users, just higher level users. But all matter of perception I quess, so whatever works.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SierraJuliet is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Admin is the super user or su for those wanting to get into technicalities but yes everyone is a user and that does not just apply to what I am doing. We are all users of this forum except the admins or moderators if we choose to get technical are still users.

The point is there are functions that normal users who are only there to punch keys and fill in information do not need access to; meanwhile, there are people using the same utility that may need a little extra. For example, an admin or manager can add, modify, or delete a lookup field for a drop down that users use to fill out forms. We obviously do not want the average user being able to do that because we would have dumb names for things like "gat" instead of "gun", "dubs" instead of "rims", or some other nonsense. Now this can still be done outside by accessing the tables another way but that does not exactly streamline the process nor make the utility user friendly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.