D_InSub is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Asset Tracking for small bussiness

Hi,

Have been looking for solutions to help my small business run more efficiently, started looking into access a while ago (newb here, with excel vba exp).
    Would like to create a database that can help track our tooling (currently around 500 plant items), have used a template and slightly modified to get to the point that I can start entering data into. I want to have the assets in the database, when the employees need to take a item out of the shed I logs who has taken the item. Also part of the regulations here is all electrical equipment must be taged(condition cheeked) and a physical tag placed on the item (this I have running currently). The other side is once onsite clients sometimes wish to see that the employees have witnessed and unAsset.zipderstood the (safe work method statement) for that item.

so the plan is.

setup a computer in the shed where an employee can login and using a handheld barcode scanner sign in/out items.
    if needed cheek condition with pats tester, if passed print tag.

what I'm not sure about.

can the database attached be hosted (sharepoint) so once onsite the form can be opened and view the relevant attachments. work method statements or repair manuals ect

I don't wish to spend more time on this if the online side cannot be implemented. if it cant be implemented I will look into another way of doing this. like ftp server or whatever recommended.

thanks everyone.

Like most things I do, all good intentions and limited time. also working on many things at once (I may have attention deficit disorder LOL HAHAH), so if anyone is looking for some paid work. shout out hopefully we can work together.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    yes, youd have the tInventory table with all the tools.
    The field tInventory.CheckedOut would be null if the tool is available,
    if its checked out, it would have the persons ID in the field.

tEmployee.EmpID

the check out would also record this in the tToolLog table, the history of checkin/out
    ToolID (long)
    EmpID (long)
    DateStamp (date)
    CheckIO (I or O) to tell the item was checked in or out.

a tToolMaint table to record work on them.
    ToolID (long)
    MaintDate
    MaintReason
    etc

you can split the db so many people can use it. The tables backend would sit on a server folder, and each person would get a copy of the app frontend on their PC. (or in their personal folder on the server)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the design tips, will add these and post results when done.

Trying to understand what can be done on the frontend side. Watched a few videos and this looks like what I want to implement. looks more of a way to semi secure the bones of the system and implement user privileges. there are 3 locations the tools/assets are stored currently, so this will be the churn out I guess. was thinking of a single board pc running win 10 and scanner/wifi on each location dedicated just for this purpose

Though not sue if it meets the employees onsite requirements. With the frontend I cant seam to see anyone running these on mobile devices android or from a webpage based system. after some looking am I correct in thinking that if the backend is a sql database on a server that this can be referenced from mobile apps and webpages ect.
    its not a deal breaker though would be great if there is a real time central location for asset manuals/WMS ect that can be brought up in the field without a full blow pc.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you would need a designer to build another frontend for mobile apps and web.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is there a way to have a list in a form subform
    I want to show the items a employee has when they click on fEmployee Details EmpView tab equipment. Attached is a image of what I was thinking the result may look like.

thanksAsset10118.zipClick image for larger version. 

Name:	result.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	32028

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Spend time on getting "all" your requirements understood. Build a model and test it. Here is a generic Asset management model from Barry Williams' site.
    Here's a link to info re database planning and design.

Here's a youtube on Stock Management system that may be helpful for concepts/approach.

It is much easier to draw a model and test data on paper; set up scenarios and make sure you can get the output/data you need.
    Too often people try to build the physical database and have oodles of issues trying to adjust it because of some fact(s) they overlooked/didn't fully understand when building. Analyze, test, adjust;(repeat as necessary)---then build.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank for link, there is a lot to go through there. watched a couple videos and skim read a few pages.

so I guess I should go back to the drawing board and create (pen paper) all the fields required and build relationships between them. I have a hour or two tomorrow to start this.
    have to say this Is a big learning curve for me. I have always been the guy that will bash a square peg into a round hole. often have no plan in place, keep pushing to its complete.

if I put down everything I want this to do at this stage, I guess that would also help you guys help me get this working. I really want to get the assets into this and start using asap. All the hardware is there now barcode scanners/printers/cameras.

Starting to think that I am in a little over my head here, should be able to do the basics (pen paper stuff Lol). I think I am going to waste a lot of time trying to refine this (unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time). and the more time I spend looking at it the more I see what great features that can be added and drift off on a tangent. ill layout what is needed to get the assets up and running and put this to use and add other features later I guess.

thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.