BruceUK is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

In Access 2016, how can I create a generated or calculated field on a form?

Happy new year everyone,

I've just bought a new computer and have therefore upgraded to Access 2016 from Access 2003.

In Access 2003, in form design mode, it was possible to display the toolbox and drag a control type icon (e.g. a text box) onto the form layout without first selecting a field from the field list. This was useful if, for example, I wanted to create a generated field or a calculated field on the form.

In Access 2016, if I display the ribbon in form design mode and attempt to drag a control type icon onto the form layout, nothing happens unless I first select a field from the field list. But of course the field list only shows those fields defined in the source table or query.

Am I missing something here? How can I create a generated/calculated field on a form?

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Create the calculated field in the form's Record Source query
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

You can always insert controls from Access Menu at top.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    Create the calculated field in the form's Record Source query
    Thanks Bob, I can certainly do that, but I can't help feeling that Access 2016 has taken a step backwards. It wouldn't have been necessary to create a query at all in Access 2003!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    You can always insert controls from Access Menu at top.
    I must be missing something here - w
    hich "Access Menu" are you referring to?
    As I said, if I select the control type I want from those displayed on the ribbon and try to drag it onto the form layout, nothing happens. What Access 2016 seems to expect is that you first select the control type then you select a field from the field list and drag that onto the form layout, where it is created as a control of the selected type. But that limits me to the fields defined in the field list. As Bob says (above), to get around this, it seems I first have to create a query that will include the calculated field and make that query the record source for the form.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It's OK guys - I've just realised what I was doing wrong. From my old Access 2003 habits, I was trying to drag the control type icon onto the form layout. In Access 2016, I just have to select it then click in the form layout to indicate where I want to place it.

Sorry for troubling you all!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceUK View Post
    Thanks Bob, I can certainly do that, but I can't help feeling that Access 2016 has taken a step backwards. It wouldn't have been necessary to create a query at all in Access 2003!
    As you now know, it still is not necessary. However, I would still create a query or use a SQL SELECT statement so that the calculation can be done there rather than in a control.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.