Pbear88 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Changing the default system date format in SQL Server Management Studio.

I've created a MS Access front end with a SQL Server backend. I've converted and linked the Tables I needed, but I'm having trouble with the default display of my date fields. Looks like the default format for SQL Tables is yyyy-mm-dd. I would like it to be mm/dd/yyyy. I've tried different date types (datetime, date, shortdatetime), but they all have the yyyy-mm-dd format. I've read about the Convert function, but does that permanently change the display on the SQL Table, or just in that query view? If there is not a way to change this default format, can I display it the way I prefer on the Access side (on the forms)?

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Nothing to worry about it. (You should not be working directly with tables).
    When you type a date into Access, your entry is stored as a number, where the integer part represents the date and the fraction part the time (part of a day).

When you type a date into SQL Server, internally dates are stored as 2 integers. (see http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.p...in-sql-server/)
    The first integer is the number of dates before or after the base date (1900/01/01). The second integer stores the number of clock ticks after midnight, each tick is 1/300 of a second.

SQL Server controls what dates look like when looking at raw data (as in a table). Don't confuse how date/time is stored and how it is displayed. If you want a different display format, use the format function. My dates in SQL Server Express are YYY-MM-DD when looking at a table; in Access in forms and reports, they are displayed as MM-DD_YYYY.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbear88 View Post
    can I display it the way I prefer on the Access side (on the forms)?
    Yes. I have no problems with the way Access displays dates. After I converted the Access tables to SQLSE, I did not have to do any changes to Access forms - displayed the dates as usual.

Pbear88 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Thanks for your reply. Can you expand on the format function? Is this format function applied to the Access forms and report fields? I keep getting the YYYY-MM-DD format from SQL displaying in my forms.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Look in Access Help for the format function syntax.

I just checked - I have a table in SQLSE that has dates. I open the table in Management studio and the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS format.
    I open a form based on the above query and the dates are in MM-DD-YYYY format.
    I open a query based on that linked table and the dates are in MM-DD-YYYY format.
    I open the same (linked) table in Access and the dates are in MM-DD-YYYY format.

I was using A2K a couple of years ago, trying to get familiar with SQL Server (same FE, tables in SQL Server Express 2000), but I don't remember any problems with dates being displayed in international format.

I'm stumped......

Maybe post your dB with a couple of example records???? (FE and the SQL BE)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.