jabourgeois1 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Exclamation Two databases into one database. Need help!!

I found a Time clock Database about a month ago but I have been working on this for about 6 months. I think it would work great for part of my database (Workout project) but I can not figure out how to combine the two. I have include My database in a hope that you could assist me. There are several parts that are not need in the Time Clock DB for my usage:

1. The png of the clock-- the use of a running clock would be better (Like the one on my pages)

2. The Review button and all that it entails

3. The Customer and Task section and all of it parts

4. The name(INT) would need to be carried from the student/employee or patron log in page.

5. The Day criteria is good except currently on clock in it show the day of clock in, but if you forget or clock out the next day it changes the day. It would probable be better to have two separate day fields or none.

The student side would be the only one that needs the info entered prior to creating a log. The other two would be as they log a work out of some kind.

The student side would also need to show a warning if they have not completed a minimum of 25 min workout and calculate total workout time for that session.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Both Databases are attached

Thank You

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Multiple threads for same topic??

You now have 3 threads for the SAME problem/question.
    1st Post: 12-21-2017, 07:15 PM https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=69679 request for more info
    2nd Post: 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=69698 dB posted
    3rd Post: 12-24-2017, 11:10 AM https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=69719 db posted (again)

PLEASE
    pick one thread and stay with it. Multiple threads for the same problem/question will not get an answer/responses quicker and you might miss a few because they are on different threads.

================================================== ======================

It looks like you have a partial dB or you have deleted a lot of objects in the dB....??? There are forms with no way to access them.

Have you drawn out (planned) the dB on paper/whiteboard/etc before getting into Access???

In the table name "tblStudentsEC", what is "EC"? Emergency contact???
    The table "tblMedHistory" is designed wrong. The fields "ID", "MedHistoryID" and "Comments" are OK. All other field names are actually data (shouldn't be field names)..

There are problems with table designs and relationships.....

----------------------------------
    For the time clock stuff:
    You are missing a table to store the work out start/end times and workout types (Cardio and/or Weight)
    There needs to be a way to Log In (student), then pick Cardio and/or Weight and start the timer (Clock In). Similar to the "frmClockIn" in the time clock dB. That form also has code to do some time checks.
    Then, when the workout is over, go back to the Log In screen again and click on the Clock out time to end the workout.

Or maybe a student could only Clock in for one workout type at a time. A student clocks in for Cardio, then would have to clock out, ending the cardio, before clocking in for Weight training.

Why the extra buttons for Employee and Patron??

Windows 10 Access 2016
    1. Not sure about the deletion of objects, I have deleted some stuff to post on here. if you read the read me form I put in the workout database it might explain some of what your are talking about. I believe the forms you are referring to are the forms that are created off of the staff side. When the staff creates a record for a student there are some buttons at the bottom of the record that allows the staff member generate some additional forms utilizing the info off of the student form that is currently active.
    2. Yes , I had the concept database drawn out but It did evolve a lot from my original thought as I receive more info on what was being needed.
    3. Yes EC is emergency Contact.
    4. Table design & relationships ???
    5. The time clock db is not my creation if you read the read me form in it, it will tell you where I got that.
    6. The extra buttons are to allow employees and patron to track a work out also they just would not need a studentbio,EC and address info. there record would be the work out session only.

Quote Originally Posted by jabourgeois1 View Post
    4. Table design & relationships ???
    The some of the field names should be changed and table relationships are wrong (IMHO).
    You have:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PresentationBad.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	31816

I would use:

Name:	PresentationGood.png 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	31817

All fields but 3 in "tblMedHistory" are data (inside the red box) and should not be field names. Plus they have spaces and special characters in the names.

Name:	MedHistory1.png 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	31818
    The problem with having data as field names is that if (when) you need to add another condition, you have to change the design of the table, which means you have to change design of the queries, forms and reports. A lot of work to add one item.

If the design of the table "tblMedHistory" was changed to only have 4 fields
    MedHistoryID_PK
    StudentBioID_FK
    MedCondition
    Comment
    , with the data in a look up table, "tblMedicalConditions", all you would have to do is add an item to the look up table "tblMedicalConditions".

The forms "frmPhysician'sApproval", "frmRiskRelease" and "frmWaiver" should be reports, not forms.

Still looking at the timer stuff........

EDIT: Forgot to add
    From the form "frmRiskRelease", why the "e" (in RED)
    I further acknowledge the need and existence of certain rules and procedures concerning the use of the equipment and facilities that are a part of the (Company) Fitness Center. I understand that all the rules and procedures are in place to enhance my use, enjoyment and safety of the facilities and equipment at (Company)e. I acknowledge and agree to abide by all the rules and procedures and to make every effort to assure that the equipment and facilities are kept safe for myself and others. I will report any broken or inoperable equipment to the athletic staff.
    From the form "frmWaiver", there is a missing "g" (in RED)
    4. I am executing the waiver and release to induce the (Company) program to permit me to participate in the exercose program.

Windows 10 Access 2016

pk & fk??

What does _PK & _FK mean???

From the form "frmRiskRelease", why the "e" (in RED), When I took Company name out I forgot the "e"

From the form "frmWaiver", there is a missing "g" (in RED), Just a spell error

Had a brain fart Primary Key & foreign key!!
    Last edited by jabourgeois1; 12-29-2017 at 08:33 PM.

I use the suffix "_PK" to indicate the primary key field and the suffix "_FK" to indicate a foreign key field.

MedHistoryID_PK (primary key field of table "tblMedHistory")
    StudentBioID_FK (foreign key field - links to StudentBioID_PK in table "tblStudentBio")

Much easier to see primary key and foreign key fields.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So would it be better to have the Med condition it own table or type the values? or do I just add it to the table that I already have tblLookup? I am already usingt that able to lookup three fields on the frmStudentInfo?and/or should I have a table for each of the lookup values? Then how would that translate into a onto a form with a check box?

This is how I would set up the dB:
    Relationships:

Name:	relationship1.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	31837

Medical history design

Name:	NewMedHistory1.png 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	31838

New table MedConditiions

Name:	MedCondition1.png 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	31839

This is how the form might look:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    When one of the four fields is blank the query will not populate any data?

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	31885

You have the wrong symbol to do concatenation - use the ampersand
    Try
    Code:
    FullName: [firstname] & " " & NZ([middleint],"") & " " & [lastname] & " " & NZ([suffix],"")

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have tried the ampersand several times and on several occasions and it does not like it. But the plus sign does work

Don't know what to tell you.

I used the concatenation above with the ampersand (in your dB) and it worked.

The "+" formula did not return values.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't know but for me it was just the opposite when I changed the plus to ampersand the return of no value. But when I unzipped your example your work just fine also. I thought it might be setting in the database but then I should not have gotten the 2nd return record value. Either way it works. the big part was being able to return a value when either the Middleint and/or suffix was not present.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Still looking for any help on this issue. Had to do a quick format on my home computer over the holidays and did not get a chance to work on it as expected. Still not up and running at full speed but I am back at work so hopefully I will get a chance to do something. This has turned into a hot button for me. Help please!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.