Pwsoule is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

mail merge

I am familiar and have used Word mail merge with a query from Access for my data. I have created a query that lists 15 names and addresses. when I go to create the mail merge the query data does not populate. Other queries populate fine. Help please

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you can always view the internal access report, then click SENT TO:
    or
    event setup a list of recipientsin a form and cycle thru them sending the report.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwsoule View Post
    I am familiar and have used Word mail merge with a query from Access for my data. I have created a query that lists 15 names and addresses. when I go to create the mail merge the query data does not populate. Other queries populate fine. Help please
    When this query was created it was just like the hundreds of other queries I have created and used for the source of my mail merge. The "Mail Merge Recipients" dialog box has the correct column headings...it is just not populated with the data from the query. Why?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Would have to analyze design and code. If you want to provide files, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Why so much use of mail merge? Why not reports in Access?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The entire database is confidential so I am reluctant to send it out.
    If I convert the query to a Exell spreadsheet then I can use that as my source for the mail merge. However, I have never had to do that extra step to complete a mail merge. I'm stumped.

June7 is offline VIP
    You could purge confidential data.

I doubt anyone can determine cause of issue without some frame of reference - need to analyze data, design, code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have found that when I use the word "like" in a criteria expression the data source does not populate the "Mail Merge Recipients" dialog box. Conversely, when I do not use the word "like" the data populates as it should. I think there is something foul in the Word program that cannot work with the word "like" in the query data source. I am stumped.

June7 is offline VIP
    See, if you had provided that query in your OP, probably could have verified that long time ago. Just tested and confirmed. LIKE and * wildcard do not work.

Possibly only options are to figure out some other criteria to pull records or write them to a temp table and use that table as source for the merge.

Back to my question - why mail merge? Why not email from Access?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, in a previous post I said converting the query to an XL spreadsheet works as the data source. I feel that if Microsoft would correct their program I woudn’t have to go to this extra step. Does Microsoft know of this problem? Can we get them to correct it?
    Reguarding your other ? Our data is not complete with emails but it is complete with street addresses.
    I appreciate your help very much. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Get Microsoft to change the program - not likely.

No need to involve Excel.

What do street addresses have to do with this issue?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is a donor database. Not all donors provide their emails but they all provide their street addresses so we communicate with snail mail.
    Please explain “no need to involve Excel”.

June7 is offline VIP
    As I already suggested, if you need to use LIKE and * wildcard then write records to a 'temp' table and use that table as source for the mail merge. No need to export to Excel.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.