Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sgthuth is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

GUI type form Layout Change

So thus far, I have been working at this plant for more than a year now and I was hired to build access programs. The corporate office really does limit this plants capabilities when it comes to trying to automate things so they brought me in with my IT and access background. The first project I started, completed, and implemented has been used for about a year now and with the holidays, my colleagues are not always around for me to question about current projects. I pulled that first project out, grew disgusted, and decided it was garbage. I want to make the next version bigger and better. The program is basically a form with the layout of certain machines within our plant. The user can turn machines on and off with just a click and with a selection, change shift groups. Its current end goal is to provide a user interface for the machines and produce a report for the groups and project the coming weeks output/goals. Below is just a sample of my layout. I have over 100 machines. In the sample, 1001-1003 and 2101-2104 are group 1 (in blue) and group 2 is 2124-2123 (in red or whatever that is).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dView.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	31634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fView.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	31635
    It might be far fetched but I would like to incorporate a different form/screen and design it in a way that the user can modify the layout easily (IE move machines, delete machines, add machines). Currently, I have a table that when the layout is opened, a recordset is created and looped to find groups and changes the rectangles color appropriately according to a color scheme. Would creating an object and assigning it the attributes from the table work? Each machine would be it's own object. Also, all the machines within this portion of the plant are not the same type; most are of the same size but others can take up the size of two smaller ones. I was thinking about setting up a grid type system, display a table that kept that information and allow the user to make changes but the sizes of the machines are not the same. I'm stuck in a non creative box and any thoughts or ideas would be magnificent.

Minty is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    There is somewhere out here in the interwebs a demo of a Access restaurant seating plan that enabled you to move the seats and tables around.
    However I'm beggard if I can find it. It might have been a Peter Hibbs thing ?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    The form could be a layout of the plant, with numbers where machines are placed. When you (right?) click on a machine you are given the choice of move to a different number (position) or deleting it. To add machines you could have a listbox with unused machines which they could select. Each placement could be multiple textboxes and you make them visible/invisible depending on the size of the machine.

You don't say how this is used, is this by date, by project, by shift? This would determine what reports you can get from it and how to create them.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Oh, that sounds like a promising comparative tool. Google came back with nothing. Peter Hibbs? Google said he was an English mariner. Um... I love to laugh but I'm laughing due to my confusion... This is too often.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @ aytee111,
    I just automated a process where I.E.s used to take reports from our multitude of ERP systems and mash them together manually to create goals for each team within each shift for the coming week. Currently, I do not click on the button which is why I'm wishing to make design changes so that when machines come in or leave (which doesn't happen too often) the current guy that does do the clicking can just make changes without any knowledge of access. Right now when changes need to be made, I get an email of the changes and I go into design mode and move the objects around, change the tables accordingly, and change a bit of code for each changed the objects.

Minty is online now VIP
    Found it - at my other residence rather embarrassingly...

https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...d.php?t=228040

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I think like others suggested, have the layout of the plant with the fields set as far as where machines can be placed? Or could that fluctuate(as in you might have some blue at top and other blues in same group but at bottom?). Maybe have tblMachine that has each machine, their size, other info, etc. In your layout above, each field would be a combo box from tblMachine where they can select a machine to go into that slot. If a machine is selected from combo box, it is removed from its current slot(if it is on the board already) and then placed in the new slot. You could have edits going to check if they try to select a machine that is too big or too small for a slot, prompt them to select another machine. You can also change colors as needed, etc.

Not knowing how you want to report out the data or how you need to store it limits suggestions. Maybe give a step by step detailed process of how it all works on a given day or week, etc.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @Minty,
    Holy Sh*tballs batman... who made that? It looks awesome.
    I downloaded it but the mouse move event keeps errorring out. I stopped moving my mouse... didn't work.
    Dangit... Just closed and reopened it. I was able to hit enable before it error'ed out. That is awesome... I'll look into this. Thanks. How do I have this marked as solved?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @Minty, So ChrisO... where's that guy so I can shake is hand?
    @Bulzie and @aytee111, thank you for the suggestions. If you get a chance, look at the ChrisO db that Minty suggested. That thing is awesome. I'll be investigating how it works as the user interface is mainly what I was looking to develop. The coding how it currently works is in the bag... just needed an AWESOME example of what I was aiming for.

Minty is online now VIP
    I thought you'd like that.

ChrisO was a very clever Access guy, lots of very elegant and leftfield solutions.
    Not sure if he is still about unfortunately.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yes that program looks nice, thanks Minty for posting.

Minty is online now VIP
    In fact our very own Baldy Man is a source of more http://www.baldyweb.com/ChrisOSamples.htm

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @Minty,
    Thats sad to hear about ChrisO. I havent been on the uk site in quite some time. Ill probably try pulling it up again just to have it bookmarked again.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @Minty,
    Wow, thats a lot of stuff!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @Minty
    What was the Peter Hibbs reference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.