aladiver is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Dependent combobox's in Access form

Hi friends!
    While I've seen complicated ways to do this using VBA (a language I don't speak), I'm hoping to find a simpler way to perform this act.

I'm creating a form which has two comboboxes. The second box provides a list based on the selection in the first box.
    BOX1: IssueCategory, list includes choices (A, B & C)
    BOX2: IssueSpecific, list includes (A:1,2,3; B:4,5,6; C:7,8,9)

So, when IssueCategory B is selected in BOX1, then BOX2 should only offer a list of 4,5,6.

It seems I should be able to create the three different lists for BOX2 (one for each letter in BOX1) using the Property Sheet to apply the proper list to each choice.

Is there a way to do this or am I just dreaming? Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    what you want it is typically referred to as a cascading combo box, but I like your description better as nothing cascades from one to the other, like a waterfall does. I thought about mounting a campaign to change the Access world but couldn't raise the funding
    There must be a million pages out there on how to do it. Here's one http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces...cascading.html
    No code needed.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

aladiver is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thanks for replying. But, the site must have been updated because it does require code. Simple enough that I can probably figure it out once I have the tables created and named properly. So, if you don't mind bearing with me a little longer . . . maybe you can point out exactly how my tables should look, IssueCategory is COMBOBOX1 and IssueSpecific is COMBOBOX2. How many tables will I need, given what I have presented: A-C,1-9?
    What will I name the Tables and Fields therein? What data will be in each? How many columns? What about the primary key in each?

Hopefully this isn't major since we have so little test data in the sample environment. I'd greatly appreciate the help if I could get an explanation on how I should proceed. Thanks!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here are links (2) to older free videos that show the steps in building and using cascading combos. He shows all the code involved.
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox1.html
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox2.html

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    True - I figured you might be a macro type person. One way or the other, you do need to refresh the child combos based on the parent. Their row sources can be queries, and I should have been more clear on what I was trying to say - that you don't have to build the row sources via code as long as you can requery them after a value has been selected in the parent combo. As mentioned, there must be a million links on how to do this and you should be able to find one or more that you can relate to. Perhaps the video links will suffice. If you'd rather have written descriptions, they're out there. No doubt many links have been posted in this forum on the subject as well.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.