Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Detail section won't shrink

There is only one text box in my detail section that is only occasionally populated. I have the Can Shrink set to yes for both the text box and the Detail section, but it has no effect. As a result it is very difficult to read and adds many extra pages to the report. I've done some reading online, but none of the solutions apply to me. I've used this property before without any problems. I'm not sure why this is not working as advertised.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Did some testing. Seems to work only if the textbox has to shrink. Why is your detail section not already sized as small as possible?

Try setting the textbox to just over 0" height (about .0208) and the detail section just barely bigger than the textbox. CanGrow and CanShrink set to Yes for both.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Paul H is offline Expert
    I tried what you suggested and it DID grow, but it did not shrink when there was no data in the detail section. This report is grouped at 4 levels, Facility, Patient, Status, and Treatment, with Medications in the detail section. In this report there is data in each group header, but only 1 in 10 have medication detail records. The result is a blank line after most Treatments. This description is for discussion purposes. The actual data is rather sensitive. I'm going to Compact and Repair and maybe a reboot. If that doesn't work I may start with a blank database and import all the objects into. I'm a little reluctant to go that far.

I'll check back Monday morning.

June7 is online now VIP
    I did a test of only one group level. Yes, there will be a tiny bit of space because the control is still there, has to be some room for it, but it is hardly noticeable. Think that's the best you will get.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Paul H is offline Expert
    No the problem isn't the tiny bit of space. I did exactly as you said and in design view the space is almost invisible. In print preview it grows back to the height of the original text box whether there is a value there or not. In other words it does not shrink back to its original size. I don't get it, but I'm going to brave the snow and give it up till Monday.

Have a nice weekend.

June7 is online now VIP
    "Grows back to the height of the original textbox" confuses me. If the height is 0.0208 it should not be any bigger when there is no data. This works for me. In PrintPreview.

Paul H is offline Expert
    It confused me too. I had given up and moved on to a different solution when I went back and tried it one more time and wa la, it worked. I must have not set it up right. Probably a fresh pair of eye would have spotted what I missed, but being an "army of one" has its disadvantages.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Paul

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.