kiwikitbasher is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Latest Windows 10 update preventing "type-ahead" data entry in some, but not all, table fields...

First time poster, so I hope this makes sense...

Following a Windows 10 auto update, I can no longer get the "type-ahead" feature for data entry in some fields of one of my tables using combo-box lookups. Yet the same database still exhibits this a functioning "type-ahead" feature when tested on another PC that I have yet to allow the same latest Windows 10 update to install. I have been using this database for 20 years, and have made no changes to its design for a long time. The Limit to List Property is still set to Yes for the Lookup.

The problem occurs in two fields of my table using sort queries for lookup, yet the "type-ahead" feature still works on other fields in the same that also use query lookups! I can still click on the affected fields to see my list of input values and enter that way by scrolling through thousands of value. Or I can type in the first few letters of a data input value (without the "type-ahead" feature) and then click to open the input value list whereupon "type-ahead" works within the list. However, because "type-ahead" has stopped working in some fields my data entry (based on 20 years of habit) is slowed considerably.

I also purchased Office 365 Home User tonight to see if Acess 2106 fixed the problem I was getting with Office 2007, and it turns out the problem persists with the newer version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I developed this database and my other ones 20 years ago (self-taught), and for the past 15 years or so have done virtually no development, just data input and reporting - so I'm pretty rusty on correct terminology and familiarity with some Access features. All I am certain of is that an operating system change has affected how Access works.

Regards,
    Mark

Windows 10 Access 2007
    I have just reverted to my previous version (pre Dec 7th update) of Windows 10 and it appears to have fixed all the issues I mention above. I have disabled updates, but would still like to know why an update should impact Access in such a bizarre way,

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Windows 10 is the WORST operating system I have ever encountered. You're lucky that you can switch off updates, most of us are unable to. Freedom is no longer allowed here. Even worse, Dell doesn't allow any other operating system on their laptops so much as I would like to, I cannot go back to Windows 7. BE WARNED!!!

Windows 10 Access 2007
    I have found it to be stable, but agree about the loss of control and forced aspects, plus the interface is poorly designed. here's how I have hopefully switched off forced updates:
    Windows Update is just another Windows process, and apparently, it can be stopped with these steps:

1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter

2. From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it

3. In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’

4. Restart
    See:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/26/windows-10-how-to-stop-forced-updates/#5f941f9b46f6

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can't help with your problem but wanted to say welcome Mark. I'll be passing through in a couple of months (daughter lives in Wellington).
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks Paul,
    I live in Auckland (21 years now), but lived in Wellington before that. If you haven't been before, you find Wellington grows on you. The most similar US city I can think of is Portland Oregon (albeit an inland rather than coastal port). I hope you have an enjoyable trip.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Windows XP Access 2007
    We've been twice before (daughter has lived there a few years now, so it obviously grew on them!). You're right, it is a nice area. We spent a day in Auckland on one trip, so we didn't really do it justice. Hit some high points, then took the train to Wellington. We've really enjoyed our trips there; it's a beautiful country, and the NZ people are very friendly. We did make the mistake of going on a wine-tasting road trip to Martinborough a couple of years ago...over Easter weekend. Who knew they would all be closed! It's made for a good laugh since then
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2007
    I see you know what to expect! Easter closing is still an issue here (surprising since about 70% of the population is not religious), with some tourist regions allowed to have all businesses open, and many areas only certain types of stores can trade; although many break the law. The law is as more focussed on workers' rights to have a holiday as religious observance, but it is bad from a tourism standpoint. Glad you could laugh about it!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ah, life's too short. Our fault for not checking it out ahead of time. My daughter and her husband had just moved to NZ, so didn't know the customs yet.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

You know, I have been struggling with Windows Update for a few months now, so far your fix seems to have got it. I'm going to hold thumbs that Windows doesn't reverse it, which it has done in the past. Many thanks for the info.

My brother lives in Auckland, say hi to him for me!

Windows 10 Access 2007
    I will next time I bump into him. Glad the update fix seems to have worked.

Update: no matter how many times I switch off/disable/uninstall, it is all back again with a few hours. Microsoft doesn't care what you want.

More, for those interested:
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article...24444864053617

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.