rkr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Subform with many join query - Need ability to edit values

I have tried many different things to get this to work, with no luck so far.

I have a parent form with 1 main combo box, and several other edit boxes. A user selects an item in the combo box, and then it updates the edit controls and loads records into the continues subform.

The subform has only 3 fields, a label, edit box, and a combo box, however the query is not simple and has 5 joins to get these 3 values and because of this, the controls do not allow edits.

My goal was to have an update button on the parent form, that loops through all records on the subform saving them into the DB.

So, because of the query structure, I cannot use bound controls.

Using Unbound controls, I can't find a way to add a row in the subform, while looping through my recordset. Is this possible?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Maybe there is something wrong with your table design if you need 5 tables to show these three fields. Using a subform to add and edit records is the simplest method, try to fix that first, if you can. Otherwise you will need to do it manually and have a way for the user to enter a new record, with the pertinent fields outside of the subform, or on the header or somewhere. A place for them to enter the values to be stored.

rkr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Nothing wrong with the table or design!

Maybe I will make my question simpler. How do I add a new row, to a subform, that is NOT bound to any tables? If this is not possible, any ideas how to simulate rows on a form, and have 3 controls within each row?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Like I said, give the user a separate place to enter the data. It cannot be done on the continuous form.

rkr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think i have one other possible solution is to use a temp table. On combo select/change, copy values into this table, which should allow edits, when the temp table is bound to a subform. When the user hits Update, it will copy those values into the correct tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.