SusanCoder is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Compute sum in main report Group footer on value from sub report

Thanks for your help. Trying to sum participant #s in main report. Participant #s are computed in the subreport.

The main report named zrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart is grouped by Training Type, and the detail section looks like this and will have several trainings under each training type:

TrainingType
    (grouped by, header)

TrainingBeginDate CityState
    txtDirectPartSum [zsubrptAllTrTypesByDateDirectPart].[txtDirectParticipantNum] Instructor

Within the subreport zsubrptAllTrTypesByDateDirectPart,the number of participants is stored in a field named txtDirectParticipantNum. The control source is a query that sums the participants for each training from a table. The participant numbers are entered by groups that attend a specific training, like Teachers (5) + Principals (10) = (15) participants for training X. For the specific training in this example, txtDirectParticipantNum's value would be 15.

I'm trying to sum the number of participants in the main report, in the TrainingType footer.

This is what's working so far...

I'm storing the # of participants on the main report in each detail line in a calculated text box called txtDirectPartSum (which will not be visible).I get the value for this unbound field from the subreport using this function: =IIf([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[HasData],Nz([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[txtDirectParticipantNum],0),0). This works great. I thought storing the value on the main form would make it easier to sum in the TrainingType footer.

What's not working...summing txtDirectPartSum in the TrainingType footer.

I have an unbound calculated text box named txtSummedDirectPartSum in the TrainingType footer to sum all of the participant numbers in the training type section (all the txtDirectPartSum values). I've tried the following functions inside txtSummedDirectPartSum and can't get any to work.

Code:
     =Sum([txtDirectPartSum])
    Code:
    =Sum([zrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[txtDirectPartSum])
    Code:
    =Sum(IIf([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[HasData],Nz([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[txtDirectParticipantNum],0),0))
    Code:
    =Sum(IIf([zrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[HasData],Nz([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[txtDirectParticipantNum],0),0))
    Code:
    =Sum(IIf([zrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[HasData],Nz([zsubrptAllTrTypesTrainingsByDateDirectPart].[Report].[txtDirectParticipantNum],0),0))
    In each case, Access is not recognizing the syntax after =(Sum(, or between =Sum(IIf([ and ,Nz.

fyi: txtDirectPartSum and txtSummedDirectPartSum and txtDirectParticipantNum are formatted as Standard, no decimals.

Thanks again for your help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Aggregate calcs must reference fields, not controls. Are expressions referencing actual field names or are those names of textboxes?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SusanCoder is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thank you, June7. Your statement "aggregate calcs must reference fields, not controls" helped me find the answer. I was trying to reference controls on the subreport to do calculations in the main report. Instead, I queried the tables for the sub and grand total data required, created subreports with the sub and grand total fields from the queries, and added the subreports to my main report. It worked! Thank you, again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.