schulzy175 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

How to find/edit Pass-Through functions?

I have a database that has custom functions built in, but they only work with a pass-through query. How can I edit the custom functions? I couldn't find much when I researched it. Thanks.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Pass through queries normally operate on an external database such as SQL Server, can you show some examples of these functions ?
    You may not be able to do anything with them if they are using Stored Procedures on a separate server.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Pass through queries normally operate on an external database such as SQL Server, can you show some examples of these functions ?
    You may not be able to do anything with them if they are using Stored Procedures on a separate server.
    My computer is the server with the only database on it as well. Not sure if I can display the functions; they are custom functions designed by the provider for the business. I am connected to ODBC as well which is connected to the database which is local on my pc.

Minty is offline VIP
    Okay - well the same restrictions apply.
    If you are accessing functions that are stored on the server, that is the only place you can adjust or change their behaviour.

What is the the SQL of one of the pass through queries?
    What type of result sets do you get that you are trying to change ?

To be more helpful, our system software provided has a function that scrambles sale numbers. They have a odbc manual giving a list of all their custom functions and procedures. They don't support ODBC over the phone since it is requested very minutely. So I am trying to find their functions so I can see how they are working and what exactly scrambles the sale numbers. Sorry I cannot give much info on SQL or functions themselves.

Minty is offline VIP
    I'm not aware of any command that would list all the stored procedures on a server instance without you being able to log into it and look directly anyway.

You can try and reference INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES that might be able to list a collection of objects via ADODB using your ODBC conncetion, but as I said if you can login to the SQL server you can see these listed directly under SQL Server Manager anyway.

Yea I was coming across that solution a lot on google. SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio are on my to-do list now. Thanks for the info and help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.