shoelesscraig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Simple Question (I Think)

I have a simple need with Access, but it's stumping me.

I'm a guitar player at a large church. For years I have been entering in my information for the song list we play each weekend into separate tabs in Excel. Info like song name for each song, tempo, key, notes for each song, etc. Before I go to church that Sunday, I always print out that 1 tab and lay it on the floor next to me so I have my notes for that day.

Well, from time to time, I need to be able to easily pull up every time I played "Song x" and see the notes from those weekends. Now that I have a LOT of tabs in the spreadsheet, it is fairly difficult to find the instances in which I played "Song x" without doing a "find" and that is not very user friendly. I figured Access is probably a better solution...plus, I'm not sure how many tabs Excel is going to let me add. I figure eventually I'll run out of space...?

I've got a decent amount of experience with Access, and once I get all of my info into it, I know how to create queries to find all records where "Song x" exists, etc.

HERE'S THE QUESTION I CAN'T FIGURE OUT: I know it sounds dumb, but the part that stumps me in Access is...how am I going to print the 1 record for this weekend? I have a form where I enter all info for each weekend, and all of that info goes into a table...separate record for each weekend. Field names in the table are something like "Song1Name", "Song1Tempo", etc....

What is the best way to print THAT 1 RECORD?? Ideally, I'd like to create a report that looks all nice and have that report ONLY show the 1 form record that I tell it to. I've tried just printing the form, but it's messy looking and not very consistent depending on how many songs we're doing this week, etc.

Access sounds like overkill to display info for 1 day...(I realize Word sounds like a more viable option), but I'd like to be able to add to this and query the info if needed...for example, "I'd like to see every time I've played this song and what key I played it in". So, I figured this was the best long term choice.

Any suggestions you can make would be appreciated!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I would have a 'playlist' table,
    tPlaylist tbl:
    PlayListID (auto)
    dateOfPlay (date)
    where
    what...

and tPlayListSongs to hold all the songs for that weekend. A child table to tPlayList These would be added from the tSongs table.
    tPlayListSongs table:
    PlayListID (long)
    OrderNo (integer)
    SongID (long) links to the tSongs table.

then the query would join tPlayLIst to tPlayListSongs to tSongs
    the report would be based on the above query.
    docmd.OpenReport "rMyPlaylist",acViewPreview ,,"[PlayListID]=" & txtID

you could even copy 1 old playlist to a new playlist (append query) without doing it 1 song at a time.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by shoelesscraig View Post
    <snip>Well, from time to time, I need to be able to easily pull up every time I played "Song x" and see the notes from those weekends. Now that I have a LOT of tabs in the spreadsheet, it is fairly difficult to find the instances in which I played "Song x" without doing a "find" and that is not very user friendly. I figured Access is probably a better solution...plus, I'm not sure how many tabs Excel is going to let me add. I figure eventually I'll run out of space...?

I've got a decent amount of experience with Access, and once I get all of my info into it, I know how to create queries to find all records where "Song x" exists, etc.

HERE'S THE QUESTION I CAN'T FIGURE OUT: I know it sounds dumb, but the part that stumps me in Access is...how am I going to print the 1 record for this weekend? I have a form where I enter all info for each weekend, and all of that info goes into a table...separate record for each weekend. Field names in the table are something like "Song1Name", "Song1Tempo", etc....

What is the best way to print THAT 1 RECORD?? Ideally,
    Without knowing your table structures, the general idea is to use a PK field to select the song to print.
    You report has a query. One of the fields in the table/query is the unique PK field.
    So you would have a button that runs code to open/print the report - something like this
    Code:
    Private Sub Command7_Click()
        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , "PKField = " & Me.FormControl
    End Sub
    Where "Me.FormControl" is the control on the form that is the PK field.

Would you post your dB? Only needs a couple of sample records as data.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.