NightWalker is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Long list combo box filter as entry is typed?

I have a combobox that has a long list of items (over 100). I am trying to figure out a way to make the list smaller by typing characters into the combobox to make the list smaller to choose from. Is this possible and where would I look to get started? I have googled many things but I guess I am not typing the correct terminology to get what I am looking for.

combobox = cbo_ProductionItemPartNumber

table = tbl_ProductionItem
    field = ProductionItemPartNumber

Thank you for any help to point me in the correct direction.

Walker

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    A few hundred items is not much, I have combobox with thousands of items in list.

As you type in combobox, the list pointer will move to first item that matches the input. Make sure AutoExpand is set to Yes and the matched value will display in box. If you want records where the input is found anywhere in the field value, that is another matter. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-32.html

Can use code to force the combobox dropdown to open when combobox gets focus.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

...As you type in combobox, the list pointer will move to first item that matches the input. Make sure AutoExpand is set to Yes and the matched value will display in box...
    And since Yes is the Default Setting for the AutoExpand Property...if it's not moving to the first partial match (and you didn't mistakenly set the Property to No) you'd have to consider the possibility that the Combobox is corrupted.

Although we usually think of Forms, and even entire Databases, when we speak of corruption, Controls, such as Comboboxes, can and do become corrupted, and seem particularly susceptible to this during app development. The test/cure for this is short and simple...delete the Control and then re-create it.

As for automatically dropping down the list, as June7 suggested, when entering the Combobox, to make the first few matched immediately visible, that's easy...replacing cboComboName with the actual name of your Combobox:

Code:
    Private Sub cboComboName_Enter()
      cboComboName.Dropdown
    End Sub
    Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.