msmithtlh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Weird problem SAVING form

I am trying to add a new field to an old form. I have added it to the underlying query. It works fine. The new field is a check box. I add it in design view, change to form view, all looks great. When I am in design view and attempt to close it, say yes to saving changes, it doesn't actually close. If I click close again, it again asks me if I want to save it. I have saved it to a different name, but then look for that form in the list, and it isn't there.

I've done a compact & repair. I just can't figure out why it "doesn't like" putting this field on the form. Any help would be appreciated.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    When I am in design view and attempt to close it, say yes to saving changes,
    That's not advised. I would save first, then attempt to close anything as a matter of normal course. In this case, see what happens if you do that.
    You are using Save As > Save Object As... from the Office Button? Maybe you saved the form as the wrong type of object (the type is an option) thus aren't looking in the right area of the nav section. Also, you didn't say if you set the box's record source to anything.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

When I save first, then click to close, it still asks if I want to save changes. There is some reason Access "thinks" this field shouldn't be on the form. I have tried multiple times, am sure I'm saving the copy as a form, etc. I get no error message. It simply won't save the change.

The control source is the field in the query (that works). I added the field using the "add existing fields" tool.

Hate to use the c word, but maybe the form is corrupted. A compact/repair usually wouldn't fix this. Suggest you change its name (just right click on it in the nav pane) if you want to keep it for the time being and go back to your backup and import it from there. See if it's OK before adding the control again. If you don't keep backups of both front and back ends, then you now know why you should. In that case, you could try copying all the controls in one go and paste them into a new form and see what happens. All said with the presumption that it's just an ordinary control you're trying to add and not an ActiveX control of some sort.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Maybe this is being a little nit-picky, but I haven't picked any nits for a long while.....

Quote Originally Posted by msmithtlh View Post
    I am trying to add a new field to an old form.
    You add fields to tables, NOT forms. Forms have controls.

I have added it to the underlying query. It works fine.
    OK, good.

The new field is a check box.
    The new field in the TABLE sounds like a Yes/No (aka Boolean) type field; it is NOT a check box. A check box is a control that is placed on a form/report.
    You can say the new field is the check box control source. Or you can say the new field is bound to a check box.

I add it in design view, change to form view, all looks great. When I am in design view and attempt to close it, say yes to saving changes, it doesn't actually close. If I click close again, it again asks me if I want to save it. I have saved it to a different name, but then look for that form in the list, and it isn't there.
    I'm with Micron - it sounds like the form might be corrupted.

You could post your dB...???

You add fields to tables, NOT forms. Forms have controls.
    It's such a common thing I've started to overlook it. 'Bout time someone else picked some nits!
    it is NOT a check box.
    But it looks like one in datasheet view of the table, regardless of the format, hence the OP's perception of what it is, I think.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.