Antonww is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Inventory System in Access

Dear All,

I am new to access and want to create an inventory system in Access.
    Please consider that I am very basic user.

Following are my requirements

01. I want to create inventory items and I want to add around 5 pictures of each inventory item. Is this possible in access?

02. Can we give access control for different users?

Hope someone will help me.

Thank you

Anton

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What you want is perfectly achievable in Access, but is not a beginners project I'm afraid.
    If you need this as part of a functioning business requirement, either buy something off the shelf, or be prepared to pay someone to do it for you, and allow at least 3-6 months depending on your business needs.

If you are doing this as a learning project allow at least a year to get it vaguely right, unless you are very skilled and have nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    What you want is perfectly achievable in Access, but is not a beginners project I'm afraid.
    If you need this as part of a functioning business requirement, either buy something off the shelf, or be prepared to pay someone to do it for you, and allow at least 3-6 months depending on your business needs.

If you are doing this as a learning project allow at least a year to get it vaguely right, unless you are very skilled and have nothing else to do.

Dear Minty,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I like to do this as a learning project also.

Can you please give me an idea on how to add a picture(s) of inventory items?

Thank you in advance

Anton

Minty is offline VIP
    You can store pictures as an attachment field in Access, I would NOT do this however as it will cause the database to get very large quite quickly. Access DB files can only be a maximum of 2Gb.
    Make sure each item your inventory has a unique ID. Store the pictures of your inventory in a format like UniqueID.jpeg . You can then easily create a picture file path without having to store it.
    Store the top level path as a field in a system table.
    If you ever move the storage location you only need to update one field in one table, not edit thousands of records.

You can display the picture in an embedded image holder.

Dear Minty,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I think my problem is solved.

Thank you again

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Anton,
    As minty advised, Inventory database applications are not trivial. Storing images within the Access database is not considered good practice by most developers. In order to get some idea about the design and development of a "stock control application" watch this free video from youtube. You should also research (Google/Bing or forum search) and review various threads/posts on Inventory Control/Stock Control/Inventory Management etc.
    If you are keen to use inventory as a learning project, then some of the links on this page may be helpful.
    Do your planning and analysis. Do NOT be too quick to jump into physical Access database.

Good luck.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

another consideration when building a storage/warehouse solution (I build quite a few of them in my career): I started the first one using Access, but pretty soon found out I needed a more solid system and switched to SQL server as the back-end. You can still use Access to build the front-end application if you want.
    Don't forget that most storage systems use scanners (which you can do using Access) for input and output of items.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.