Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CP611 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

IIF Statements in a Query - Syntax Error Message

I'm using an Append Query and want to change if it says F to Female and M to Male. My current formula says: IIf([Gender]="F","Female","Male") but when I try to run the query it comes up with the error message: Syntax error (comma) in query expression. I've tried putting a ; instead of a , as someone else suggested but still doesn't work. Any ideas?! It's driving me crazy! (I am a complete novice when it comes to Access) thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    An APPEND query adds records, an UPDATE changes values.

Post your complete SQL statement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I really don't know much about Access, I'm trying to teach myself! I'm basically inputting data onto one table and using an append query to add it to another table but in a different order and with concatenations. So for example in my input table I've got two columns Address line 1 and Address line 2 and using the append query I've bought them both together into one column but with a Pipe added using this Expression: [Address] & "|" & [Address2]. I thought using the IIF statement in a similar way I could append the output table to change F to Female. Is this the right way to do it?

June7 is offline VIP
    What you are doing is not conventional. Instead of saving to another table, should just do those calcs in a SELECT query.

Have you completed an introductory tutorial book?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I did look at the select query but the problem that I had with this is in second table (that I am currently appending to) has extra columns that weren't in the first table. Is there a way with a select query that this can be done?

No I haven't completed a introductory tutorial book, I've just been using Google!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    To agree with what June7 said, query would seem to be the way to go. Queries are the power of databases like MS Access. Gives you a lot of flexibility to manipulate the data without having to change the underlying data in the table. I really don't see anything wrong with your IIf statement. Could be issue with the field in 2nd table you are trying to append it to? Is that gender field in 2nd table a text field? And yes you can have other fields not in the table in a Select query.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes the Gender field in the 2nd table I'm trying to append to is a text field. How would I go back adding fields into a select query that aren't in the original table that I'm selecting from? I've tried to do it before and it didn't come out with any data

Bulzie is offline VIP
    These new fields not tied to a table are just variables so if you wanted to add the current date, in a column you would put CurrDate: Date() or if you wanted a field to combine 2 other fields would be like FullName: [FirstName] & " " & [LastName]. So you put the name you want to call it, then a colon, space and then what you want the field to hold.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ok great I'll give that a go. Some of these new fields will not have any data in them, is that an issue? Because basically I want the table created from the select query to then be exported into excel and then the data is imported onto our database using an import tool which has a ready made spreadsheet which we just copy and paste data on to and import. Therefore some of the fields brought out from the select query don't contain any data (as they are filled in our database) but we will need the new headers to be there in the correct order. Thanks for your help so far

Bulzie is offline VIP
    You should just be able to do one of the following:
    NewField: ""
    NewField: " "
    NewFIeld: null

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for your help I'll give that a go and see what happens!

June7 is offline VIP
    Query can be exported to Excel. So far, nothing really justifies second table.

You want to manipulate the data, export to Excel, then import into a different db?

Geo21 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

IIF Statements in a Query - Syntax Error Message

Could you post the whole query?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've managed to create what I want from just using a select query, however I am still getting the same error message when I put in the IIF statement of: IIf([Gender]="F","Female","Male") of Syntax error (comma) in query expression. Any ideas?!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is the SQL for the query (Table 1 is just the table I'm selecting from - as you can see I also have quite a few new fields where I just need the header hence the null).
    SELECT Null AS SERIALNUMBER, Null AS CONTACTTYPE, Null AS TITLE, [Table1].[First Name], [Table1].[Last Name], [Table1].Address & "|" & [Address2] AS [=Expr], [Table1].[Suburb/City], [Table1].County, [Table1].[Postal Code], [Table1].Country, IIf([Gender]="F","Female","Male") AS Expr
    FROM Table1;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.