sreee0009 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

the value you entered is not valid for this field

hey actually, i have stated the problem below and exactly what im trying to get from it.

ID Compound structure Ap Bp vendor

As you can see the above one has table with 25 fields in it but I could give you the first 5 fields I have a form where the data will be submitted into the database. Now vendor field has three values to select from Perry ,yaws,not applicable.

if i press the save button it saves to the database. but when i go to different records by using next button user should be able to update the vendor field by the combo box selecting value and it automatically should update it into databse
    i have written an update statement in the on change event but it say the followinfg error.

Ps. while creating new records on change should not update but while viewing the records onchange should be updated with the selected value in the combo box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails instructions.JPG  

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Having difficulty making sense of your narrative.

Vendor is a text type field?

Why would you need to use an UPDATE statement? Provide the SQL syntax.

I have NEVER used OnChange event for textboxes or comboboxes.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

yes vendor is short text, i can save the record normally when i select the value from the combo box because my combox is bounded to vendor field. but also i have created a macro for a button which is next to go for other record. but while viewing other records using next button i can view all the data from the master table.
    the issue is if a user wants the value to change from one to another in he combo box then the onchange event triggers and then the value should be updated by old value in the table
    similar like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t1.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	31371
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	31372
    also i pulled values from that vendor table to combo box.

June7 is online now VIP
    Why does that look like an Excel spreadsheet?

I still don't understand why you need UPDATE action. If form is bound to table and combobox is bound to field, data should save directly to record. I do not understand 'updated by old value' - what does old value have to do with populating vendor field in Master table?

You still haven't posted code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

im confused even what you understood is right or not ?
    i have typed that table roughly in the excel and gave you for a look
    Master table bound to master form
    i created a combo box and changed the control source to vendor( which is field name in the master table)
    so i have new record button Macro which takes all the data from the combo box also and when pressed save button it saves into master table.
    but when i open the form it shows all records one by one and when pressed next button it shows second record. typically its a huge form.( this is in view stage)
    Task i want to update the value selected in the combo box into the table but it throws me this error that the value you entered is not valid for the Field 'ID'
    but i tried my best it is pointing the ID of the vendor table.
    Also code you asked looks for onchange combox is
    Dim vendor As Variant
    Dim strRQL As String
    Dim str2 As Integer
    Dim num As Integer
    num = DCount("*", "Master")
    If (Form_Master.ID <= num) Then
    vendor = DLookup("vendor_name", "vendortable", "ID=" & Combo683.Value & "")
    Set dbs = CurrentDb()
    str2 = Form_Master.ID
    strRQL = "Update Master set vendor="
    strRQL = strRQL & " '" & vendor & "' WHERE ID=" & str2 & ";"

CurrentDb.Execute strRQL
    dbs.Close

That error is poped when the the lines of code is executed but as soon as when i press the next button its shows that error. but my update was made into the table still shows the error i wonder why
    Also if i click the refresh all button which is on top then the error doesn't pop weird

June7 is online now VIP
    Still makes no sense to me. Combobox is bound to vendor field then it is already saving value into the field. User changes the value of vendor by selecting another item from the combobox.

What is the RowSource of the combobox? Is it an SQL statement? Post the SQL.

I don't use OnChange, I use AfterUpdate.

Thank you june7, problem solved actually it was automatically saving the data. but i placed a validation condition in the click event of save button thats why it was not saving automatically.

i have commented the validation then it works smoothly. after that i had issues.

1. i have so many text boxes in the form master how can i validate it.

(if i use beforeupdate then the user must click on the textbox then only it can be validated. if keept after update also similar. if user doesnt even click on any textbox and presses save button it should ask for proper input data.)

June7 is online now VIP
    I have never used the form BeforeUpdate and AfterUpdate events. I disable the form X close and use code in button Click event to validate input. I also use control ValidationRule and ValidationText properties.

still cant get you how to check for validation for different textboxes and their conditions,if empty. when they are not even selected

June7 is online now VIP
    Example:

Code:
    Private Sub btnClose_Click()
        If IsNull(Me.tbxLabNum) Then
            MsgBox "Must enter value into LabNum"
            Me.tbxLabNum.SetFocus
        Else
            DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo
        End If
    End Sub
    However, just setting the ValidationRule and ValidationText properties would accomplish the same thing for this particular example.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.