sjolley is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Question Selecting records in continuous form

hi, im using access 2010. My db is split into a FE and BE. BE is on a share network drive. FE is located in multiple users home directories. All working ok except for a newley discovered issue.

i have a continuous form linked to a table. on the continuous form is a checkbox, bound to the table, therefore every record displayed on the form has a check box where the user can select. When multiple records are selected, the user can then select to carry out certain functions which uses the selected records, e.g. print report for each selected record.

the issue im having is when a second user opens their copy of the FE and selects their own records. because each user is selecting the tick box which is bound to the same table, then a user will print their records and the other records that were selected by the other user.

does anyone have any design ideas how i can code out this issue?? open to any suggestions.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This is why filtering should be based on data, not user's arbitrary selection.

You would need a table in the frontend that has the RecordID and a yes/no field. Join that table to the backend table. Code could dynamically populate this frontend table with the RecordID values.

CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE FROM FilterTable"
    CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT RecordID INTO FilterTable SELECT RecordID FROM DataTable"

Alternatively, select records from a multi-select listbox and code constructs filter criteria, review: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-50.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Another reason not to base forms on tables when you can use a query, which is more adaptive. If you are logging in users, then you could add the user id to this mix and only perform the actions where the box is True and the user id = ?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is online now VIP
    That assumes the selection can be restricted by a userID. What if two users want to include some same records in their selection? Really don't have enough info.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    What if two users want to include some same records in their selection?
    I guess I made the mistake of assuming one of those "various" functions would be to edit the selected records, but I have to agree with you. No good for doing things like opening a report. I can't think of how you select the records to copy to this filter table idea you have. You can't check the box in the form - concurrent users might be doing that to the same records. You can't click an unbound checkbox on a continuous or datasheet form because all of them will then hold the same value. So how would you identify the records on a form bound to a table that everybody can access at the same time, in a way that distinguishes between one user and another?

Your suggestion to use a listbox seems better.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    A clear statement with example from the OP would help readers.

My suggested youtube was for the OP to see a method to manage/restrict data and data access. Whether it applies to the current situation is unknown, but there may be some concepts/ideas that could be adapted. And there are several free youtube videos and articles that could be discovered with google/bing using focused search terms.

Seems we are all guessing at the requirement.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.