Guide for interpreting MSDN / MS documentation syntax-syntax !!

It's rare that I just can't figure out what search terms to put into Google to get me enough results to do the research on my own, but here's one.

Can anyone tell me where a person would go, in order to refer to a "key" / (legend) to help them interpret the syntax-of-the-syntax, so to speak, on MSDN, dev.microsoft, etc.

In other words, if msdn gives you a documentation page about the vba MsgBox function. this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.60).aspx

It gives this: SyntaxMsgBox(prompt[, buttons] [, title] [, helpfile, context])

Somewhere, there HAS to be a "key" that would provide a newbie developer with the knowledge necessary to interpret that documentation. For example, I know that anything in square brackets is an optional parameter. I know that in some languages, the msdn documentation has a key relating to whether it's in bold or not, SQL documentation is big on that.

How do you find the key / guide to this?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Have been on many of the MSDN and similar sites many times. Can't say it's 100% of the time, but don't they provide example code? They do at the link you posted. Wouldn't examples provide what you want? Then there is the Help documentation, which is mostly a repeat of the MSDN type pages. The only time I can recall not seeing examples is when you're in the site pages that only break out the object model, like this one
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba...-vba-reference (object model link is in left nav pane).
    Then again, I can't say there's never any examples inside of that documentation either. You have to watch out for documentation that is strictly VB or VB.Net when you're looking for VBA.

I know of no such key type of documentation. Methinks it would be an astronomical project to create. Maybe I don't fully grasp what you're need is since after years of dabbling in VBA, I don't have a problem understanding the words they use when laying out the parameters of a function, method or object. Perhaps you will too after a while.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

well, i've been programming vba for years, but now am trying to "tutor" someone a bit. the other day he was complaining of the foreign look of the line (like my bolded line in post). i told him "well the square brackets are optional parameters", and he said "ok, how would I know that - is there like a Key that actually says that somewhere?"

i think he asked that because I was encouraging him to see the documentation as the be-all and end-all of resources and help. if he learns to really USE the documentation and take every thing very literally, he will see how it is possible to use it as the primary and 90% resource in learning to code vba...rather than forums and random people like myself.

at that point i began to wonder, myself. i figured ... There MUST be this "key" i'm dreaming of.. But maybe you're right, maybe I'm overthinking it or something.

you're right in that this is not a question about example or sample code ... it's about interpreting the primary line that supposedly tells you all you need to know, pretty much, at least in terms of what the members of the function are and how to use them (yes the notes and sample codes help, but there obviously must be a reason why that main line is always following a consistent format--presumably, so that readers, if they know what the meaning of the formatting is, could theoretically just look at that and more or less be ready to utilize the information.

i will say that in T-SQL, you definitely DO need to know more about the "key", so to speak. Or at least, it's probably safe to say we could agree that at least my question seems much more relevant with T-SQL scenarios. I know microsoft is using the specific formatting all the time for a reason, presumably a beneficial reason.

Check this out, and see how handy it is to be a reader who fully understands the meaning of all the crap that's included: I actually found the page for the t-sql key, it's called syntax conventions ... but it's not really for syntax in the code, it's the syntax of how to read the documentation, and it's absolutely PRICELESS... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...s-transact-sql

I guess this inspires me to try a search using similar terminology .. maybe for tomorrow, i'm fatigued.

thanks for looking.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Gotcha.
    Had a 15 minute look around but found nothing. It might be in somebody's book, but until you find a source, I suppose it's something you'll have to pass on as you instruct.
    I call that job security

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    See if these are getting warm
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/language-reference-vba/articles/document-conventions-visual-basic-for-applications

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/vba-access

I found for Access 2010 using google (microsoft access 2010 vba language reference)
    Starting at:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg264383(v=office.14).aspx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start2010-VBA.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	31318
    select Document Conventions

Name:	DocConv-Vba.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	31319

then Functions

Name:	Function-VbaRef.png 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	31317

FunctionsList

Name:	FunctionsList-Vba.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	31320

Drill down to to reach MsgBox

Name:	MsgBox-VbaRef.jpg 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	31316

I agree the details can be hard to find.

Good luck. If you find a more detailed reference, please post the link(s).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.